Introducing Myself...

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
      Introduce yourself! Send us a brief message about yourself (professional, advanced amateur, current Aperture user or thinking of a purchase, system setup, etc) don’t be shy, it’s a great way to get started!

      Well, here goes...

      I'm a recent switcher from an old Dell PC that I had cared for and souped up to an iMac 20", Leopard 10.5.4, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.  I'm LOVING it!  I have played around with iPhoto a bit, but have recently been looking at a couple of promo video tutorials for Aperture 2 on apple.com and became interested.  At this point, I'm looking into possibly purchasing it (first, download the demo, of course, hopefully soon.)  I've joined to find out more about Aperture 2 and to see if it's "worth it."  :)

      Deborah

    • Alex Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hi Deborah-

        Welcome to the board!

        Alex

        --
        ALEX RODRIGUEZ PHOTOGRAPHY
        studio 305-361-1992 | toll free 888-815-0392 | fax 305-847-7787
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
          > I'm a recent switcher from an old Dell PC that I had cared for and
          souped up to an iMac 20", Leopard 10.5.4, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB
          800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.  I'm LOVING it!  I have played around with iPhoto a
          bit, but have recently been looking at a couple of promo video
          tutorials for Aperture 2 on apple.com and became interested.  At this
          point, I'm looking into possibly purchasing it (first, download the
          demo, of course, hopefully soon.)  I've joined to find out more about
          Aperture 2 and to see if it's "worth it."  :)

          > Deborah

          Welcome Deborah,

          I too purchased my first Mac in Jan./08. I have been a PC user for 25+
          years. Apple has finally put the horsepower in their systems and their
          OS is far and away much better than Microsoft.

          I purchased Aperture 1.5 and 2.0, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS3
          extended. I currently have 10,000+ images (about 115 GB) that I
          manage, and Aperture is my first choice in processing all of my
          images. It has a great workflow, tools and backup mechanisms.
          Apple has introduced plug-in functionality, and I have evaluated Power
          Stroke. Long story short, I rarely use PS CS3 and Lightroom anymore.

          I couldn't be more pleased with my iMac and Aperture purchases.

          Tim
        • Gregg
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
            Welcome Deborah and thanks Tim,

            I have a 3 year old iMac, still 10.4.11, and could use a boost in RAM, but I'll never go back to a PC!

            I've been using Canon's DPP to do a little RAW processing, and it's OK. On a camera group I follow, everyone seems to use CS, Lightroom, and a few others. I have an older version of Elements, but I'm not thrilled with it.

            I like the way Aperture looks, and it's not Adobe bloatware. But, how does it do for cataloging, resizing, processing RAW for exposure, saturation, sharpness etc? I'd prefer to use just one program for processing - I'm not a pro, and don't want to move a photo through half a dozen programs to get a nice finished product. And of course, I'd prefer that one program to come from Apple.

            Thanks,
            Gregg
          • Deborah
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
              ###### Wow, I'm glad you emailed with your experience as a switcher and tester of all 3 programs.  It does sound like Aperture 2 would be the best and the price is pretty good.  It does help to hear you say that now you rarely use the other 2, Aperture seems to meet your needs.  That really helps with my decision.

              Thanks, Deborah

              Visit our web site at...

              > I'm a recent switcher from an old Dell PC that I had cared for and
              souped up to an iMac 20", Leopard 10.5.4, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB
              800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.  I'm LOVING it!  I have played around with iPhoto a
              bit, but have recently been looking at a couple of promo video
              tutorials for Aperture 2 on apple.com and became interested.  At this
              point, I'm looking into possibly purchasing it (first, download the
              demo, of course, hopefully soon.)  I've joined to find out more about
              Aperture 2 and to see if it's "worth it."  :)

              > Deborah

              Welcome Deborah,

              I too purchased my first Mac in Jan./08. I have been a PC user for 25+
              years. Apple has finally put the horsepower in their systems and their
              OS is far and away much better than Microsoft.

              I purchased Aperture 1.5 and 2.0, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS3
              extended. I currently have 10,000+ images (about 115 GB) that I
              manage, and Aperture is my first choice in processing all of my
              images. It has a great workflow, tools and backup mechanisms.
              Apple has introduced plug-in functionality, and I have evaluated Power
              Stroke. Long story short, I rarely use PS CS3 and Lightroom anymore.

              I couldn't be more pleased with my iMac and Aperture purchases.

              Tim

            • Keven Fedirko
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2008
                >I have a 3 year old iMac, still 10.4.11, and could use a boost in
                >RAM, but I'll never go back to a PC!

                Just doing nothing in 10.4.11 NEEDS more than 512MB - so ensure that
                you have more than that - even 1GB would be a joke for running
                Aperture. Even though I'm in Canada - I've upgraded a number of
                systems from these guys in Chicago - never found anyone local that
                could even come close (even with shipping, FedEx and duty tacked
                ontop) :: <http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/>

                >I like the way Aperture looks, and it's not Adobe bloatware. But,
                >how does it do for cataloging, resizing, processing RAW for
                >exposure, saturation, sharpness etc?

                I've been very impressed with the resizing - before using Aperture
                1.0 I used to carefully unsharpmask each image for web or printing -
                now I do nothing, and it looks great - huge time saver. There is
                quite a bit of control that you can get with saturation, contrast,
                definition and the selective color controls. I find that the new
                "definition" slider to be extremely handy for giving the odd image a
                little extra punch.

                k.