New to the group

  • stormdoorman2
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
      Hi,

      My name is Scott and I'm new to the group and Aperture. I was editing
      some photos last night and wanted to save them in the original
      resolution but in the edited form. It saved them as a much smaller
      resolution and smaller file size. Any suggestions would be appretiated.

      Thanks in advance
    • Mitch Aunger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi Scott! Welcome to the group.

        I'm a bit confused about your question. Aperture is non-destructive - your original is still intact. You can make new versions at any time you want. If you are talking about the export function when you say "saved them" then you also have the ability to modify how Aperture exports the images... please give us a little more to go on.

        Mitch

        all of my projects all in one spot:

        Read about the Canon USA rebates there too! :)
        canon5d blog / microstockPedia / sanibelPedia / saveOurRink / brentwood portraits

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          Sorry about the confusion. What I want to do is edit,crop, etc. an
          image and then save the edited version as the same high quality as the
          original. When I take an edited image and then transfer it to a disk
          or try to send it to a printing service the file is too small and not
          enough pixels to print in thee size I want. The orignal photo was a
          large file (3MB) but the edited copy is much smaller.

          Thanks,

          Scott

          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Mitch Aunger <maunger@...> wrote:

          > Hi Scott! Welcome to the group.
          >
          > I'm a bit confused about your question. Aperture is non-destructive -
          > your original is still intact. You can make new versions at any time
          > you want. If you are talking about the export function when you say
          > "saved them" then you also have the ability to modify how Aperture
          > exports the images... please give us a little more to go on.
          >
          > Mitch
          >
          > all of my projects all in one spot:
          > http://planetMitch.com
          >
          > Read about the Canon USA rebates there too! :)
          > canon5d blog / microstockPedia / sanibelPedia / saveOurRink /
          > brentwood portraits
          >

          > On Jun 5, 2008, at 7:14 AM, stormdoorman2 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > My name is Scott and I'm new to the group and Aperture. I was editing
          > > some photos last night and wanted to save them in the original
          > > resolution but in the edited form. It saved them as a much smaller
          > > resolution and smaller file size. Any suggestions would be
          > > appretiated.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance

        • stormdoorman2
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
            I forgot to tell you a little bit about myself.

            I've been taking pictures since 1975 and have been into a digital SLR
            since 2004. I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D200. My love is
            nature, Architecture, landscapes, candid wedding shots. I'm starting
            to get into portraits and school and after school sports to try to
            make a little money to support my equipment purchases.
            I've been working on my Smugmug account to see if anyone wants to buy
            stuff. I've sold a lot of my wedding photos but non of my nature or
            artistic stuff yet. I'm just starting to post it on the site. Lots
            more photos to put on it.

            http://photobug.smugmug.com/

            Scott

            --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "stormdoorman2"
            <ILOVEPHOTOGRAPHY@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My name is Scott and I'm new to the group and Aperture. I was editing
            > some photos last night and wanted to save them in the original
            > resolution but in the edited form. It saved them as a much smaller
            > resolution and smaller file size. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks in advance

          • Eric Welch
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
              --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "stormdoorman2" <ILOVEPHOTOGRAPHY@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > My name is Scott and I'm new to the group and Aperture. I was editing
              > some photos last night and wanted to save them in the original
              > resolution but in the edited form. It saved them as a much smaller
              > resolution and smaller file size. Any suggestions would be appretiated.
              >
              > Thanks in advance

              You need to change your export options.

              Go to File->Export Version. When the dialog box comes up, pull down the menu "Export
              Preset." The select which you want. "Jpeg - Original Size" or "Tiff - Original Size 8 - bit" or
              whatever you want. The bottom of that pull-down has an edit selection that lets you create
              your own export presents. Gives you just about as much control as you could possibly
              want. The rest should come natural.

              When the dialog box comes up, select the pull down menu titled "Name Format" and
              select