Aperture Systems Requirements??

  • Yamil R. Sued
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
      OK guys, here's my Problem

      From everything I've read, and searched you need a super fast system
      Dual 2Ghz Min, Lots of RAM 2 GB Min, A good Video Card and at least One
      24" Monitor in order to get the best out of Aperture!!

      I've seen the quicktimes at the Apple Site, and how much you want to bet
      that Apple just gave these 3 guys a Quad 2.5Ghz machine with Gobs of RAM
      and Two 30" Monitors with the best Video Card Available and said, Guys,
      use the system and tell me how good it is!!

      Right now I'm a Pro ruining CS2 and Capture on 2 Powerbooks for my D2X
      and D2H's (NOT D2Hs) I bet if Install Aperture on my 1GB 17" machine
      with 1GB of RAM, It will lock-Up, and if I dared do it on my old 15"
      667Mhz Machine, It will explode!!

      I searched, if you Pimp out the new Quad-Core G5, with the
      top-of-the-line Video Card, Two 30" Monitors and 16GB of Ram with 2 500
      GB Drives, it will run you a bit over $23K!!!

      Knowing the Life-Span of Computers today (around 6 MO) a $23K investment
      is not at the top of my list!!

      I see all the Kewl features of Aperture, But It is my thought that
      Aperture is somewhat meant to sell Apple hardware!!!

      Don't get me wrong, I've been an Apple fan since I used the Apple II
      back in 1981, And I've been a fan since. but at this time in my career,
      my main budget is for Cameras, lenses and Memory cards, Not a new
      computer when the 2 that I have work just fine for me!!

      Let's discuss these items because I'm trying to justify this software
      and I can't afford another machine right now!!

    • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
        Well speaking for my self I was NOT happy about the system
        requirements. While I do not think its an all out conspiracy by Apple
        to sell hardware I do fell they could have done a better job. My
        feeling is any G5 system should be able to support Aperture. Having
        said that I ended up with a new system. I purchased the low end model
        and the 20 inch display and upgraded the RAM (through Crucial). The
        entire setup was around $3,000. While I am certain the $23k system
        you configured would be awesome it is certainly not a must.

        Alex

        On Dec 3, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Yamil R. Sued wrote:

        > OK guys, here's my Problem
        >
        > From everything I've read, and searched you need a super fast system
        > Dual 2Ghz Min, Lots of RAM 2 GB Min, A good Video Card and at least
        > One
        > 24" Monitor in order to get the best out of Aperture!!
        >
        > I've seen the quicktimes at the Apple Site, and how much you want
        > to bet
        > that Apple just gave these 3 guys a Quad 2.5Ghz machine with Gobs
        > of RAM
        > and Two 30" Monitors with the best Video Card Available and said,
        > Guys,
        > use the system and tell me how good it is!!
        >
        > Right now I'm a Pro ruining CS2 and Capture on 2 Powerbooks for my D2X
        > and D2H's (NOT D2Hs) I bet if Install Aperture on my 1GB 17" machine
        > with 1GB of RAM, It will lock-Up, and if I dared do it on my old 15"
        > 667Mhz Machine, It will explode!!
        >
        > I searched, if you Pimp out the new Quad-Core G5, with the
        > top-of-the-line Video Card, Two 30" Monitors and 16GB of Ram with 2
        > 500
        > GB Drives, it will run you a bit over $23K!!!
        >
        > Knowing the Life-Span of Computers today (around 6 MO) a $23K
        > investment
        > is not at the top of my list!!
        >
        > I see all the Kewl features of Aperture, But It is my thought that
        > Aperture is somewhat meant to sell Apple hardware!!!
        >
        > Don't get me wrong, I've been an Apple fan since I used the Apple II
        > back in 1981, And I've been a fan since. but at this time in my
        > career,
        > my main budget is for Cameras, lenses and Memory cards, Not a new
        > computer when the 2 that I have work just fine for me!!
        >

        > Let's discuss these items because I'm trying to justify this software
        > and I can't afford another machine right now!!

        > ~-->
        > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/e4wwlB/TM

      • Yamil R. Sued
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
          Agreed!!

          But..

          A guy like me making a living in the Photo world, I'm doing OK with CS2 and Capture!!

          I can't take advantage of Aperture!! I just don't have the processing, video, Storage or RAM Power available to me!!

          BTW, not that your system is not good, but you will find that it will not run as fast as it does for those guys in the Aperture Commercials on The Apple Site ;-)

          Like I said, they got FREE Pimped-Out Systems just to show us mere mortals what can be done when you plunk down a ton of $$$$ on a totally cool system!!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
            I just got my copy in yesterday. Up to this point I am pleased however I am still getting my current library sorted out. Once I am done with this I will start playing with it more. My next task is getting the calibration in sync with the lab I use and testing an exported image printed via my lab.

            Alex

            On Dec 3, 2005, at 8:36 PM, Yamil R. Sued wrote:

            I agree, I wish I could afford your system!!

            At this time another D2X must come first!!

            Then..

            a 12-24/4G
            10.5/2.8
            and selling my 80-200/2.8 AF-S to get the 70-200/2.8G AF-S
            and...

            Well you know!!

            I agree that sometmes Workflow sucks!!

            I sucks less now that I have the 17" Powerbook for some Processing  and Workflow and the olode 667 for location and travel!!

            All Networked tougether.

            Soon, I'll be able to afford the system of my dreams!!

            BTW, who has Aperture??

            Who's using it??

            How does it work??

            Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez wrote:
            If that is working for you then that is the end of it. For me it was not. Frankly the one frustrating part about digital to me has always been the workflow. While Aperture is not perfect is the closest thing I have found so far.

            As for my system, obviously its not a fast as the ones on the demo, but for me it works. I was only pointing out that you do not have to spend $23k to get a working system.

            Alex

            On Dec 3, 2005, at 7:44 PM, Yamil R. Sued wrote:

> [...]

            > 500
            > GB Drives, it will run you a bit over $23K!!!
            >
            > Knowing the Life-Span of Computers today (around 6 MO) a $23K
            > investment
            > is not at the top of my list!!
            >
            > I see all the Kewl features of Aperture, But It is my thought that
            > Aperture is somewhat meant to sell Apple hardware!!!
            >
            > Don't get me wrong, I've been an Apple fan since I used the Apple II
            > back in 1981, And I've been a fan since.  but at this time in my
            > career,
            > my main budget is for Cameras, lenses and Memory cards, Not a new
            > computer when the 2 that I have work just fine for me!!
            >

            > Let's discuss these items because I'm trying to justify this software
            > and I can't afford another machine right now!!

            > ~-->
            > Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!

            Image processing software Image processing Digital image processing
            Image processing system Mentor graphics Embossed graphics

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Yamil R. Sued
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
              I'd like to kknow how it works!!

              For example, I shoot a lot of catalog stuff, how does it work wit lots of similar shots with the same background??

              How is it as a RAW Converter???

              I have so many questions!!

            • thenetimp2000
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005
                --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez" <Alex@S...> wrote:

                > Well speaking for my self I was NOT happy about the system
                > requirements.

                Me either. But thanks to a crack I found on usenet I am able to install and run Aperture on
                my G4 1.1GHZ with ATI Radeon 9000. and you know what. It's not as slow as I expected it to
                be.

                James
              • allan_marcus
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005
                  --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yamil R. Sued" <ysued@h...> wrote:

                  > I'd like to kknow how it works!!
                  >
                  > For example, I shoot a lot of catalog stuff, how does it work wit lots
                  > of similar shots with the same background??

                  You will love the "stacks" feature.

                  > How is it as a RAW Converter???

                  Apple has included basic RAW conversion at the OS level.
                • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2005

                    I'd like to kknow how it works!!

                    For example, I shoot a lot of catalog stuff, how does it work wit lots
                    of similar shots with the same background??

                    You will love the "stacks" feature.

                    So far this is hands down my favorite feature. I also like the rating system.
                    How is it as a RAW Converter???

                    Apple has included basic RAW conversion at the OS level.
                    At this point for me the converter seems to be working well. Its not a mature as the ACR.

                    I also like the way all of the commands have keyboard shortcuts. It certainly cuts down on the mouse action. As for what bothers me the most, at this point seems to be speed and specifically when sorting and adjusting the stacks.

                    Alex

                  • Thomas Tukker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                      Hey James, do you mind posting the crack in the files section of this
                      group?

                      I own a 2.0 DP with a 5200FX card and cant install Aperture... :(

                      Best,

                      Thomas

                      --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "thenetimp2000" <thenetimp2000@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez"
                      <Alex@S...> wrote:

                      > > Well speaking for my self I was NOT happy about the system
                      > > requirements.
                      >
                      > Me either. But thanks to a crack I found on usenet I am able to
                      install and run Aperture on
                      > my G4 1.1GHZ with ATI Radeon 9000. and you know what. It's not as
                      slow as I expected it to
                      > be.
                      >
                      > James

                    • azurevision2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                        Or at least post which usenet group to look in.

                        --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Tukker" <thomastukker@y...> wrote:

                        > Hey James, do you mind posting the crack in the files section of this
                        > group?
                        >
                        > I own a 2.0 DP with a 5200FX card and cant install Aperture... :(
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Thomas
                      • Stan Bonis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yamil R. Sued" <ysued@h...> wrote:

                          > OK guys, here's my Problem
                          >
                          > From everything I've read, and searched you need a super fast
                          system
                          > Dual 2Ghz Min, Lots of RAM 2 GB Min, A good Video Card and at
                          least One
                          > 24" Monitor in order to get the best out of Aperture!!
                          >
                          > I've seen the quicktimes at the Apple Site, and how much you want
                          to bet
                          > that Apple just gave these 3 guys a Quad 2.5Ghz machine with Gobs
                          of RAM
                          > and Two 30" Monitors with the best Video Card Available and said,
                          Guys,
                          > use the system and tell me how good it is!!
                          >
                          > Right now I'm a Pro ruining CS2 and Capture on 2 Powerbooks for my
                          D2X
                          > and D2H's (NOT D2Hs) I bet if Install Aperture on my 1GB 17"
                          machine
                          > with 1GB of RAM, It will lock-Up, and if I dared do it on my old
                          15"
                          > 667Mhz Machine, It will explode!!
                          >
                          > I searched, if you Pimp out the new Quad-Core G5, with the
                          > top-of-the-line Video Card, Two 30" Monitors and 16GB of Ram with
                          2 500
                          > GB Drives, it will run you a bit over $23K!!!
                          >
                          > Knowing the Life-Span of Computers today (around 6 MO) a $23K
                          investment
                          > is not at the top of my list!!
                          >
                          > I see all the Kewl features of Aperture, But It is my thought that
                          > Aperture is somewhat meant to sell Apple hardware!!!
                          >
                          > Don't get me wrong, I've been an Apple fan since I used the Apple
                          II
                          > back in 1981, And I've been a fan since. but at this time in my
                          career,
                          > my main budget is for Cameras, lenses and Memory cards, Not a new
                          > computer when the 2 that I have work just fine for me!!
                          >

                          > Let's discuss these items because I'm trying to justify this
                          software
                          > and I can't afford another machine right now!!

                          There is a downloadable program at:
                          http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs.html
                          that will test your system to see if Aperture will run on it.
                          (Scroll down on right)

                          Stan
                        • wpbrug
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 10, 2005
                            Hi, I would like this too. I have gotten a legal copy of aperture installed on a non-
                            supported G4. However, it still does another compatibility check so it won't run. I've
                            poked around inside the package with various XCode tools and I can see where to fix the
                            memory size and the graphics card, but can't see where to change the CPU requirements.
                            I read in forums.dpreview.com that there are 2 files that need to be edited/patched, but I
                            can't find them.

                            I've also searched usenet to no avail...

                            If someone would email me (pbrug@...) instructions, it would be greatly
                            appreciated.

                            Thanks in advance!