289Re: Graphics card frustration and 1.1.1 - new member

  • Thomas Tukker
    May 8, 2006
      AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
      I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
      me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
      Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

      Best,

      Thomas

      --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yann Nicolas" <yannster@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > the upshot of this is that after a dozen or two imports I am unable
      > > > to accurately locate images in the library based on the "shoot" in
      > > > which they're located in Lightroom, even though it would appear at
      > > > first glance that I should be able to do so. So at the end of
      the day
      > > > I tend to prefer Aperture's closed library which doesn't try to fool
      > > > me into thinking I should be able to determine where it's keeping
      > > > things.
      > > >
      > > > Other things I prefer about Aperture are its ability to handle dual-
      > > > screens so well and its stacks feature. Stacks just seems to be an
      > > > entirely logical way of working.
      > > >
      > > > Undoubtedly Lightroom will improve with later releases, and I'm
      > > > blaming neither Apple nor Adobe for my annoyances - they're both
      > > > trying to produce innovative software in an untested market segment
      > > > and it's obvious that both products are improving rapidly. It's just
      > > > frustrating being a user who wants a tool he can use _now_. If I
      > > > wasn't new to digital photography in January then I'd probably
      have a
      > > > workflow already established, probably involving Finder or Bridge &
      > > > Photoshop; if had a workflow like that established for some time
      then
      > > > - considering my current hardware - there would be no reason for me
      > > > to change it.
      > > >
      > > > Right now, I'm dying for the release of the Intel PowrMacs - I don't
      > > > want to spend money on a graphics card for this machine when I hope
      > > > the Intel PowerMac release will be so soon. I play games
      > > > occasionally, would do so more if I were able to boot into XP, and
      > > > also work with XP for my job quite a lot, so the upgrade might
      make a
      > > > lot of sense. This depends on price, of course, and there's a bit of
      > > > me that says "wait until the second generation Intel PowerMacs as
      > > > they'll be cheaper", but I really don't want to spend a lot of money
      > > > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within
      a year.

      > > > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
      > > > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
      > > > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they
      sell
      > > > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
      > > > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
      > > > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
      > > > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
      > > > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
      > > > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
      > > > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting
      25% of
      > > > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a
      top-of-the-
      > > > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

      software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+software&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=ae8cLmwwxiP1GfjG845zng>
      Image

      Digital
      > > image
      processing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+image+processing&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=33TZxc9cpXLfDYRoTa61Vg>
      Image
      > > processing
      system<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+system&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=KM4yUaDC3OyxYv3A5YfVzQ>
      Mentor

      Embossed

      > --
      > /yann