Image + Session

  • Csongor Fagyal
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
      Hi,

      I have a site where users can upload pictures. I would not like anyone
      to link to these pictures from other sites. I am thinking about writing
      an ASP script that checks the referrer and not serve the images if the
      referer is not that of the main site. This is OK but probably one of you
      could suggest a better solution... let me know if you have a good idea.

      Thanx,
      - Cs.

    • Philip Mak
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
        On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:37:12PM +0100, Csongor Fagyal wrote:
        > I have a site where users can upload pictures. I would not like
        > anyone to link to these pictures from other sites. I am thinking
        > about writing an ASP script that checks the referrer and not serve
        > the images if the referer is not that of the main site. This is OK
        > but probably one of you could suggest a better solution... let me
        > know if you have a good idea.

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$ [NC]
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://([a-z0-9-]+\.)*shoujoai.com/ [NC]
        RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|bmp|png)$ - [F,NC]

        The above is something you can stick into your Apache configuration to
        do that. It'll affect all gif/jpg/jpeg/bmp/png files. You just have to
        replace "shoujoai.com" with your domain name.

      • Peter Galbavy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
          I use something like:

          <%
          my $allowed = 'x.com|y.com';

          unless (exists $ENV{HTTP_REFERER} && $ENV{HTTP_REFERER} =~
          /^http:\/\/($allowed)\//) {
          $Response->{Status} = NOT_FOUND;
          $Response->End;

          %>

          This is from memory so *excuse* the syntax and regexp errors ...

          Peter