Compress::Zlib

  • Csongor Fagyal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
      Hi,

      This might be a bit off-topic.

      I am using Compress::Zlib in Apache::ASP to give me compressed content
      baceuse I am transfering lots of XML data periodically. Now the
      question: how can I fetch zipped content using Perl? If I simply use LWP
      (say LWP::Request::Common), will it automatically tell the server that
      it can accept gzipped encoding? Do I have to set that manually? (It it
      possible at all?)

      Another, less off-topic :-)

      If I have an include, say include.asp which contains something like
      my $variable;
      this variable is visible in example.asp if I do
      <!--#include file="include.asp"-->
      in it.

      Will this behaviour change if I se DynamicIncludes to 1?

      - Csongor

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
        Csongor Fagyal wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > This might be a bit off-topic.
        >
        > I am using Compress::Zlib in Apache::ASP to give me compressed content
        > baceuse I am transfering lots of XML data periodically. Now the
        > question: how can I fetch zipped content using Perl? If I simply use LWP
        > (say LWP::Request::Common), will it automatically tell the server that
        > it can accept gzipped encoding? Do I have to set that manually? (It it
        > possible at all?)

        If you set

        Accept-Encoding: gzip

        as an client HTTP header, then you would get gzip output.
        But then you might be stuck ungzipping the document body.

        > Another, less off-topic :-)
        >
        > If I have an include, say include.asp which contains something like
        > my $variable;
        > this variable is visible in example.asp if I do
        > <!--#include file="include.asp"-->
        > in it.
        >
        > Will this behaviour change if I se DynamicIncludes to 1?

        Yes, DynamicIncludes is similar to calling the include as

        <% $Response->Include('include.asp'); %>

        So you do not see the variables in the same scope.

        The nice thing is that includes can be shared between
        scripts and only compiled once per process.