Re: unknown entity blah - '&' problem

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
      Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
      > Peter Galbavy wrote:
      >
      >> Using the w3c validator, I get 'unknown entity' error for URL generated
      >> using $Server->URL().
      >>
      >> --
      >> Line 8, column 75: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
      >> "session-id"
      >> ..."
      >> href="/css/style.css?category=misc&session-id=0aa89fea729d35f3cee8cb638927a
      >>
      >> --
      >>

      > Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
      > See also RFC 1738.
      > You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

      Right. SessionQueryParse should be adding & to the query strings,
      not & for proper HTML. This has been true for enough years now that
      browsers support this, that I am OK with this.

      I'll have this added to the 2.51 release, let me know if you want the
      development release early.

    • Peter Galbavy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
        And $Server->URL() ???

        If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
        am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

        Peter

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
          Peter Galbavy wrote:
          > And $Server->URL() ???
          >
          > If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
          > am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

          $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
          in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
          rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
          & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try

          $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

          You can create a shortcut for this of course in global.asa.

          For the patch, you may look at the diffs between releases for
          the Response.pm module after 2.51 is out.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
            > $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
            > in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
            > rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
            > & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try
            >
            > $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

            Good point. Lucky someone is watching :)

            Peter