Re: unknown entity blah - '&' problem

  • Peter Galbavy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
      > Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
      > See also RFC 1738.
      > You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

      That's cool - now how do we politely ask Apache::ASP to use ';' instead of
      '&' internally ? :-)

      Peter

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
        Peter Galbavy wrote:

        >>Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
        >>See also RFC 1738.
        >>You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.
        >>

        >That's cool - now how do we politely ask Apache::ASP to use ';' instead of
        >'&' internally ? :-)

        I don't suppose you can..
        ``;'' just works when you construct querystrings yourself.
        I was hasty in my answer before, so I sent the message before I read
        this problem was created by SessionQueryParse.

        Help anyone (Josh ?) ?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
          Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
          > Peter Galbavy wrote:
          >
          >> Using the w3c validator, I get 'unknown entity' error for URL generated
          >> using $Server->URL().
          >>
          >> --
          >> Line 8, column 75: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
          >> "session-id"
          >> ..."
          >> href="/css/style.css?category=misc&session-id=0aa89fea729d35f3cee8cb638927a
          >>
          >> --
          >>

          > Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
          > See also RFC 1738.
          > You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

          Right. SessionQueryParse should be adding & to the query strings,
          not & for proper HTML. This has been true for enough years now that
          browsers support this, that I am OK with this.

          I'll have this added to the 2.51 release, let me know if you want the
          development release early.

        • Peter Galbavy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
            And $Server->URL() ???

            If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
            am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

            Peter

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
              Peter Galbavy wrote:
              > And $Server->URL() ???
              >
              > If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
              > am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

              $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
              in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
              rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
              & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try

              $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

              You can create a shortcut for this of course in global.asa.

              For the patch, you may look at the diffs between releases for
              the Response.pm module after 2.51 is out.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
                > $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
                > in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
                > rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
                > & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try
                >
                > $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

                Good point. Lucky someone is watching :)

                Peter