Re: unknown entity blah - '&' problem

  • Peter Galbavy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
      > Using the w3c validator, I get 'unknown entity' error for URL generated
      > using $Server->URL().
      >
      > --
      > Line 8, column 75: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
      > "session-id"
      > ..."

      href="/css/style.css?category=misc&session-id=0aa89fea729d35f3cee8cb638927a
      > --

      Thinking about this, this was *not* generated using $Server-URL() but by
      SessionQueryParse etc.

      Same issue(s) though...

      Peter

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
        Peter Galbavy wrote:

        >Using the w3c validator, I get 'unknown entity' error for URL generated
        >using $Server->URL().
        >
        >--
        >Line 8, column 75: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
        >"session-id"
        > ..."
        >href="/css/style.css?category=misc&session-id=0aa89fea729d35f3cee8cb638927a
        >--

        Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
        See also RFC 1738.
        You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

        Regards,
        Thanos Chatziathanassiou

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
          > Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
          > See also RFC 1738.
          > You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

          That's cool - now how do we politely ask Apache::ASP to use ';' instead of
          '&' internally ? :-)

          Peter

        • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
            Peter Galbavy wrote:

            >>Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
            >>See also RFC 1738.
            >>You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.
            >>

            >That's cool - now how do we politely ask Apache::ASP to use ';' instead of
            >'&' internally ? :-)

            I don't suppose you can..
            ``;'' just works when you construct querystrings yourself.
            I was hasty in my answer before, so I sent the message before I read
            this problem was created by SessionQueryParse.

            Help anyone (Josh ?) ?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
              Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
              > Peter Galbavy wrote:
              >
              >> Using the w3c validator, I get 'unknown entity' error for URL generated
              >> using $Server->URL().
              >>
              >> --
              >> Line 8, column 75: cannot generate system identifier for general entity
              >> "session-id"
              >> ..."
              >> href="/css/style.css?category=misc&session-id=0aa89fea729d35f3cee8cb638927a
              >>
              >> --
              >>

              > Actually, you're supposed to say ``&'' instead of plain ``&''.
              > See also RFC 1738.
              > You can, however, also use ``;'' as a QueryString delimeter.

              Right. SessionQueryParse should be adding & to the query strings,
              not & for proper HTML. This has been true for enough years now that
              browsers support this, that I am OK with this.

              I'll have this added to the 2.51 release, let me know if you want the
              development release early.

            • Peter Galbavy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
                And $Server->URL() ???

                If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
                am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

                Peter

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
                  Peter Galbavy wrote:
                  > And $Server->URL() ???
                  >
                  > If it is a small patch or one line fix (for the two) then just those - I
                  > am trying to run a live server with as few 'upgrades' as possible :)

                  $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
                  in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
                  rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
                  & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try

                  $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

                  You can create a shortcut for this of course in global.asa.

                  For the patch, you may look at the diffs between releases for
                  the Response.pm module after 2.51 is out.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2003
                    > $Server->URL may or may not be used in generating URLs for use
                    > in HTML, so will not get this patch. The problem is specific to
                    > rendering & in HTML, not with & in URLs. If you want to escape
                    > & in $Server->URL generated URLs, you might try
                    >
                    > $Server->HTMLEncode($Server->URL($url, \%params));

                    Good point. Lucky someone is watching :)

                    Peter