Re: Security implemention question

  • Theo Schlossnagle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      On Friday, Jan 3, 2003, at 04:59 US/Eastern, richard@...
      wrote:
      > I have already implemented page level security to restrict each level
      > user to
      > the pages for which they are authorised. My problem is that for user
      > level 2
      > to be able to download these files, they must be placed somewhere
      > within the
      > webroot. I want to prevent user level 1 from downloading these files
      > as they
      > are only intended for downloading by users of level 2.
      >
      > [ ... snip ... ]
      >
      > I am using Apache::ASP (latest), mod_perl 1.99, Apache2 (latest), perl
      > 5.6.1
      >
      > Thanks for any advice / feedback

      If you don't mind using you mod_perl instances to serve files (your
      site is low traffic and this won't hurt you). Then write a mod_perl
      PerlAccessHandler to deny people access. Implement all of your login
      system in a PerlAuthenHandler. Then just have simple login page.

      There are some good example of this in the mod_perl cookbook.

      The big advantage of this is that you never really need to "know" how
      to auth someone to write another web page for your site. It is
      provided for you by your Authen handler before you page is ever loaded.

      Also, your Authen handler can do slick things like put an instance of a
      "User" object in the Apache request notes. and the "new" method for
      your User object can look there first... This allows you to blindly
      call:
      my $user = User->new();
      at the top of any ASP page and have full access to that user's object.
      And you _know_ it will be populated with valid data because they passed
      through your Authen/Access handlers and it was actually built in there
      -- of course, it does hurt to check ;-)

      --
      Theo Schlossnagle
      Principal Consultant

    • Richard Curtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
        >Can anyone either point out any major problems with this approach, or
        > >alternatively (preferably), suggest a better alternative ?
        > >In case it makes any difference to peoples ideas/views, I am not using
        Apache
        > >for access control. Users authenticate against a database, then on each
        page
        > >they visit, their user level (taken from the session object) is checked
        > >against the access level required for that page.
        > >
        > Since You already have the users level is the Session object, you can
        > have an asp handle the downloads, like this:
        > - check if the user has the required level.
        > - set $Response->{ContentType} to whatever it is you want
        > - open the (out of the webroot) file and while reading it, output to
        > the client.

        ---

        Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I had email "issues".
        Thanks for this suggestion - it sounds like it will probably be just what I
        need.
        I have one further question though. Is there a list somewhere of all the
        "ContentTypes".
        Eg, if I am sending a word document, or a PDF, what is the content type ?

        Thanks
        Richard

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2003
          Richard Curtis wrote:
          > >Can anyone either point out any major problems with this approach, or
          > ---
          >
          > Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I had email "issues".
          > Thanks for this suggestion - it sounds like it will probably be just what I
          > need.
          > I have one further question though. Is there a list somewhere of all the
          > "ContentTypes".
          > Eg, if I am sending a word document, or a PDF, what is the content type ?

          In your apache distribution, you should have the file mime.types.
          Here are a couple lines from that file:

          application/msword doc
          application/pdf pdf

          Note, that for some browsers, they are not smart enough to
          know what this mime types tra pdf

          Note, that for some browsers, they are not smart enough to
          know what this mime types translate to, so you should also make sure
          to end the download URL with the document extension, like this:

          /download.asp?file=real_file_name.doc

          Especially for systems that associate extensions with applications,
          this can work pretty well.

          Regards,nslate to, so you should also make sure
          to end the download URL with the document extension, like this:

          /download.asp?file=real_file_name.doc

          Especially for systems that a pdf

          Note, that for some browsers, they are not smart enough to
          know what this mime types translate to, so you should also make sure
          to end the download URL with the document extension, like this:

          /download.asp?file=real_file_name.doc

          Especially for systems that associate extensions with applications,
          this can work pretty well.

          Regards,ssociate extensions with applications,
          this trick can work pretty well.