No Valid Request Object

  • Richard Curtis
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
      Hi.
      I have compiled Apache2 (version 2.0.43), with mod_perl 2 (version
      1.99_07-dev) on linux and installed Apache::ASP (latest version from CPAN).
      I have also added the following to my httpd.conf :

      PerlModule Apache::ASP
      PerlSendHeader On
      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlSendHeader On
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
      PerlSetVar Global .
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
      </Files>

      When I try to make a request, (http or https) I get the following error:

      [Sat Dec 07 11:01:18 2002] [info] Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
      for child 1 (server linux:443)
      No valid request object (Apache::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x829e548)) passed to
      ASP handler; if you are getting
      this error message, you likely have a broken DSO version of mod_perl
      which often occurs when using RedHat RPMs. One fix reported is to
      configure "PerlSendHeader On". Another fix is to compile
      statically the apache + mod_perl build as RedHat RPMs have been trouble.
      Please check FAQ or mod_perl archives for more information.

      I have compiled apache2 and mod_perl from scratch so the error above
      seems a bit strange.
      It is probably something simple wrong in my config, but I am confused.

      Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Regards
      Richard

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
        Richard Curtis wrote:
        > Hi.
        > I have compiled Apache2 (version 2.0.43), with mod_perl 2 (version
        > 1.99_07-dev) on linux and installed Apache::ASP (latest version from CPAN).
        > I have also added the following to my httpd.conf :
        >
        > PerlModule Apache::ASP
        > PerlSendHeader On
        > <Files ~ (\.asp)>
        > SetHandler perl-script
        > PerlSendHeader On
        > PerlHandler Apache::ASP
        > PerlSetVar Global .
        > PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
        > </Files>
        >
        > When I try to make a request, (http or https) I get the following error:
        >
        > [Sat Dec 07 11:01:18 2002] [info] Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received
        > for child 1 (server linux:443)
        > No valid request object (Apache::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x829e548)) passed to
        > ASP handler; if you are getting

        This error occurs when Apache::ASP tries to verify the Apache request
        object, and it does this with the filename API in Apache::ASP::handler()
        like so:

        # default to Apache request object if not passed in, for possible DSO fix
        # rarely happens, but just in case
        my $filename;
        unless($filename = eval { $r->filename }) {
        if($filename = eval { Apache->request->filename }) {
        $r = Apache->request;
        } else {
        return &DSOError($r);

        So while I cannot tell you why this is happening ( the error message
        refers to old mod_perl 1 DSO problems, I can tell you that your
        mod_perl setup is not working enough for Apache::ASP.

        Something to check, can you run even the simplest mod_perl script
        like an Apache::Registry script or mod_perl handler, or is this
        problem isolated to Apache::ASP.

        Something to try, does removing the "PerlSendHeader On" lines
        help, or is this something you added only after the error message?