Segmentation Fault (11) using SQL with Apache ::ASP

  • Fernando Munoz
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hi there,

      I hope someone can give me a clue about this problem. My configuration :
      Perl 5.8.0 + Apache 1.3.26 + Mod_Perl 1.27 + Apache::ASP 2.41 + Mysql
      3.23.49 + DBI 1.30. Apache ASP seems to be working for everything but SQL
      statements. I've already tried running the scripts from command line and CGI
      (the ones containing the SQL statements) and they work just fine. All the
      ASP scripts that I'm trying are working fine in production. I just upgraded
      the development box to ASP 2.41 DBI 1.30 and Perl 5.8.0 and I can't make
      those scripts to work again. I'm receiving a "[notice] child pid nnnnn exit
      signal Segmentation fault (11)" every time I run a script containing SQL.
      I've been working with Joshua's module for quite some time and I've already
      try most of the obvious ( re-install all the pieces, re-building them in an
      adequate order, Downloading them all again checking MD5 signatures and so
      forth). Is there another, not apparent for me, reason that someone else
      crashed already with ?

      Thanks for any help.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
        Fernando Munoz wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I hope someone can give me a clue about this problem. My configuration :
        > Perl 5.8.0 + Apache 1.3.26 + Mod_Perl 1.27 + Apache::ASP 2.41 + Mysql
        > 3.23.49 + DBI 1.30. Apache ASP seems to be working for everything but SQL
        > statements. I've already tried running the scripts from command line and CGI
        > (the ones containing the SQL statements) and they work just fine. All the
        > ASP scripts that I'm trying are working fine in production. I just upgraded
        > the development box to ASP 2.41 DBI 1.30 and Perl 5.8.0 and I can't make

        Make sure your mod_perl is built with the same perl 5.8.0 that you
        are installing new modules for. Outside of that, I think perl 5.8.0
        is your biggest variable that has changed, so if nothing else works,
        I would downgrade your installation to your old perl 5.6.x ...

        To hunt down this problem in greater detail, you might run the
        httpd in -X ( single server mode ) from the command line, and
        run it under strace or gdb to see where the problem is occuring
        exactly at a lower lever. In gdb you will be able to get a
        stack trace to submit to the relevant part.

        For strace ( assuming you are on Linux ) , I often do this:

        strace -eopen /path/to/httpd -X ...
        ... hit with browser/lwp-request/etc ...

        For gdb, I do:

        gdb /path/to/httpd
        gdb> run -X ...
        ... hit with browser/lwp-request/etc ...
        gdb> bt

        Good luck!

      • Fernando Munoz
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
          Thanks Josh, I'll first "hunt" a little before I downgrade the setup.