Win32 (Randy Kobes) Install: Anyone experienced this?

  • Johnny Ooi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      I downloaded and extracted Randy's version of the Apache engine with Perl and Apache::ASP. Now, I've got no gripes about it. It works fine, but the strange thing is this:

      In httpd.conf, it's got this fragment:

      Alias /manual/ "C:/Apache/htdocs/manual/"

      <Directory "C:/Apache/htdocs/manual">
      Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
      AllowOverride None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
      </Directory>

      Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that there is a virtual directory for the manual. Why is it, then, that when I type "http://localhost/manual" or "http://localhost/manual/", I get nothing? Also, even with the PHP files in the same directory, why does PHP not work either?

      Like I said, I'm not griping about this project, it's a great one and one I've used for a while, but these questions have been niggling me for a while and I would like to get them answered.

      Thanks for any answers.

      Johnny

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
        Johnny Ooi wrote:
        > I downloaded and extracted Randy's version of the Apache engine with Perl and Apache::ASP. Now, I've got no gripes about it. It works fine, but the strange thing is this:
        >
        > In httpd.conf, it's got this fragment:
        >
        > Alias /manual/ "C:/Apache/htdocs/manual/"
        >
        > <Directory "C:/Apache/htdocs/manual">
        > Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        > AllowOverride None
        > Order allow,deny
        > Allow from all
        > </Directory>
        >
        > Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that there is a virtual directory for the manual. Why is it, then, that when I type "http://localhost/manual" or "http://localhost/manual/", I get nothing? Also, even with the PHP files in the same directory, why does PHP not work either?

        This is not really about Apache::ASP, but a more general
        Apache configuration issue. This is not the correct list
        for posting about general Apache configuration issues, but
        I will try to answer your questions for now... ( please try
        to find a better list for things like this in the future )

        Yes, going to /manual/ should render documents from
        C:/Apache/htdocs/manual/ per the config you described.
        If there is a 404 error ( see browser/access_log), I would
        suspect the config to be overridden in some way, or
        C:/Apache/htdocs/manual/ to possibly not exist.
        If its a 403 error, then make sure things like
        like allow/deny rules are not getting in the way.
        403 might also indicate a file permissions error, but this
        is less likely.

        About PHP running under Randy's distribution, I have no idea
        whether or not he compiled support for PHP in, and would not
        be surprised if PHP did not work. Try to see if there
        is a mod_php type dll included with the distribution
        for your use.

        BTW, as far as I know, Randy does not read this list,
        so you may not get a personal response from him about this.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can get any better info off
          of Randy himself.