RE: browser can't render output produced by Apache::ASP

  • Michael Yoon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
      Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.

      I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.

      Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
      but that can wait...

      Thanks again,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
        Michael Yoon wrote:

        > Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.
        >
        > I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.
        >
        > Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
        > but that can wait...
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Michael

        Philip is a very smart guy :)

        One can gzip compress Apache::ASP output with

        PerlSetVar CompressGzip 1

        this functionality is handled by the module directly.

      • John D. Leonard II
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2002
          All:

          Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
          global) path?

          $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
          automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
          found. I want to trap this error.

          Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
          (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:

          $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

          JL

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2002
            "John D. Leonard II" wrote:

            > All:
            >
            > Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
            > global) path?
            >
            > $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
            > automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
            > found. I want to trap this error.
            >
            > Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
            > (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:
            >
            > $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

            Exposing Apache::ASP::SearchDirs functionality is the answer. In 2.31,
            this will be as:

            my $file_path = $Server->MapInclude($include);

            It seems a similar idea to MapPath, but MapPath deals with more how
            the web server would translate a URI, while MapInclude() is about how
            Apache::ASP would translate an include execution.

            Let me know if you would like an early release of the module. I'll
            probably release it soon anyway. BTW, to deal with this problem
            before, I have explicitly trapped errors like:

            eval { $Response->Include() }
            if($@) { # deal with missing include }

            since a missing include will trigger a die().