Re: browser can't render output produced by Apache::ASP

  • Philip Mak
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
      I think mod_gzip is breaking Apache::ASP. Check this out (notice that
      I put "Accept-Encoding: gzip" in my request header; if I don't include
      this header, it works):

      $ telnet www.jessicamd.com 80
      Trying 64.119.173.35...
      Connected to jessicamd.com.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      GET /test.asp HTTP/1.1
      Host: jessicamd.com
      Accept-Encoding: gzip

      HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:13:27 GMT
      Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_perl/1.26
      mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.1.0 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
      mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

      Connection closed by foreign host.

      Whenever Opera keeps trying to reload a page, it does it because the
      page had no data.

      You might try posting about this on the mod_gzip mailing list for
      help. It's probably a simple configuration issue.

    • Michael Yoon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
        Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.

        I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.

        Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
        but that can wait...

        Thanks again,
        Michael

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
          Michael Yoon wrote:

          > Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.
          >
          > I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.
          >
          > Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
          > but that can wait...
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Michael

          Philip is a very smart guy :)

          One can gzip compress Apache::ASP output with

          PerlSetVar CompressGzip 1

          this functionality is handled by the module directly.

        • John D. Leonard II
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2002
            All:

            Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
            global) path?

            $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
            automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
            found. I want to trap this error.

            Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
            (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:

            $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

            JL

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2002
              "John D. Leonard II" wrote:

              > All:
              >
              > Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
              > global) path?
              >
              > $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
              > automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
              > found. I want to trap this error.
              >
              > Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
              > (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:
              >
              > $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

              Exposing Apache::ASP::SearchDirs functionality is the answer. In 2.31,
              this will be as:

              my $file_path = $Server->MapInclude($include);

              It seems a similar idea to MapPath, but MapPath deals with more how
              the web server would translate a URI, while MapInclude() is about how
              Apache::ASP would translate an include execution.

              Let me know if you would like an early release of the module. I'll
              probably release it soon anyway. BTW, to deal with this problem
              before, I have explicitly trapped errors like:

              eval { $Response->Include() }
              if($@) { # deal with missing include }

              since a missing include will trigger a die().