Re: dynamic module

  • Brat Wizard
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2002
      On Tuesday 17 September 2002 01:54 am, Stephen Bardsley spewed into the ether:
      > Hi John:
      >
      > It's ironic how similar our applications seem!
      >
      > I have a perl module that wraps around DBI, and
      > get this, it is called Db.pm also.

      Hmm- I contacted the naming committee, they took the matter under advisement,
      generated half-a-dozen candidates, handed it off to the selection committee
      (which by some quirk, only meets the second tuesday following a full moon)
      who selected three finalists then handed everything off to management, legal,
      and marketing research, who in turn rejected one right out (for unspecified
      legal reasons I think it was), and another after two independent (and
      double-blind-- from-birth apparently) focus groups gave it a pass-- until
      finally they settled on the one we didn't use. So we ended up with "Db.pm"
      instead. Your way seems a little easier, I may try that next time ;)

      > If you are able to use global vars (use vars) in
      > your subs with no problem, then I've some work ahead
      > of me. I think it points to the fact that either I have
      > a systematic problem with my code or I have uncovered a
      > bug/feature in some of the underlying code.

      Probably not a code failure. I think Josh may have a clue in his reply (I read
      it before I saw yours).

      > Thanks again.

      No prob, that's what we're all here for-- so many people have helped me, its
      nice to be able to help someone else for a change ;)

      > Regards,
      > Steve

      John

      Check out http://www.Wizard.Org for great deals on Electronic Parts
      *NEW* Computer Parts & Accessories - Drives - LCD - Systems - Linux
    • Stephen Bardsley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2002
        Josh:

        I always have UseStrict on, but your suggestion of
        turning on PerlWarn was like some cold water in the
        face. I normally have it turned on, but not this time.
        That simple step illuminated a number of silly little
        issues that conspired to put my application in the
        crapper. While it's still not perfect, I am back on
        track adding value and not time.

        Sometimes it's real nice to have someone looking over
        your shoulder, thank you.

        Also, as you probably suspected, this problem was
        apparently related to my other post RE: strange error,
        it has become remarkably better.

        Thanks again.

        Steve