browser can't render output produced by Apache::ASP

  • Michael Yoon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
      Hi,

      I just started using Apache::ASP, and and I'm experiencing a strange
      problem:

      When I try to view any .asp page on my server, my browser (Microsoft IE 6)
      displays nothing. In trying to debug this, I've ended up with a test.asp
      page that contains only plain text (specifically, "Hello, world"), no <% %>
      tags whatsoever. Even still, when I request that page, IE shows nothing. (I
      also tried Opera, which did something even stranger - it automatically
      re-requests the page several times and then gives up, reporting this error:
      "Repeated attempts failed to load this page completely.")

      My .htaccess file is pretty minimal:

      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlModule Apache::ASP
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
      PerlSetVar Global .
      PerlSetVar NoState 1
      # PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/asp
      </Files>

      When I looked in Apache's error_log, no errors were reported, so I decided
      to use lwp-request, to take a look at the raw HTTP response. Here's what it
      shows:

      $ lwp-download -S -e http://www.jessicamd.com/test.asp
      GET http://www.jessicamd.com/test.asp --> 200 OK
      Cache-Control: private
      Connection: close
      Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:57:20 GMT
      Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_perl/1.26
      mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.1.0 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
      mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
      Client-Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:57:20 GMT
      Client-Response-Num: 1

      Hello, world.

      This looks like a perfectly valid HTTP response to me, but my browser(s)
      disagree.

      I even copied test.asp to test.txt, and ran lwp-request on it, to compare:

      $ lwp-request -S -e http://www.jessicamd.com/test.txt
      GET http://www.jessicamd.com/test.txt --> 200 OK
      Connection: close
      Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:00:16 GMT
      Accept-Ranges: bytes
      ETag: "2f81e9-d-3c476892"
      Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_perl/1.26
      mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.1.0 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
      mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
      Last-Modified: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:13:06 GMT
      Client-Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:00:16 GMT
      Client-Response-Num: 1

      Hello, world.

      To my eyes, these responses look pretty similar. The only differences that I
      see appear to be harmless. The .asp response has one extra header
      (Cache-Control) while the .txt response has three extra headers:
      Accept-Ranges, ETag, and Last-Modified. Could any of these be the culprit?

      I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but I'm stumped. Ideas?

      Thanks in advance,
      Michael

    • Philip Mak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
        I think mod_gzip is breaking Apache::ASP. Check this out (notice that
        I put "Accept-Encoding: gzip" in my request header; if I don't include
        this header, it works):

        $ telnet www.jessicamd.com 80
        Trying 64.119.173.35...
        Connected to jessicamd.com.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        GET /test.asp HTTP/1.1
        Host: jessicamd.com
        Accept-Encoding: gzip

        HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:13:27 GMT
        Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_perl/1.26
        mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.1.0 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
        mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

        Connection closed by foreign host.

        Whenever Opera keeps trying to reload a page, it does it because the
        page had no data.

        You might try posting about this on the mod_gzip mailing list for
        help. It's probably a simple configuration issue.

      • Michael Yoon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
          Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.

          I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.

          Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
          but that can wait...

          Thanks again,
          Michael

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2002
            Michael Yoon wrote:

            > Thanks, Philip! That was the problem.
            >
            > I added "mod_gzip_on No" in my .htaccess file, and my .asp files now work.
            >
            > Of course, I would like to get mod_gzip *and* Apache::ASP working together,
            > but that can wait...
            >
            > Thanks again,
            > Michael

            Philip is a very smart guy :)

            One can gzip compress Apache::ASP output with

            PerlSetVar CompressGzip 1

            this functionality is handled by the module directly.

          • John D. Leonard II
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2002
              All:

              Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
              global) path?

              $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
              automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
              found. I want to trap this error.

              Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
              (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:

              $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

              JL

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 21, 2002
                "John D. Leonard II" wrote:

                > All:
                >
                > Any code for testing to see if a file exists along the Includes (and
                > global) path?
                >
                > $Response->Include( $filename) and $Response->TrapInclude( $filename )
                > automatically scan the path, but return an error if the file is not
                > found. I want to trap this error.
                >
                > Is the solution $Server->MapPath, or perhaps to expose SearchDirs
                > (inside ASP.pm)? How about something like:
                >
                > $Server->FileExists( $file_to_include_before_it_is_included );

                Exposing Apache::ASP::SearchDirs functionality is the answer. In 2.31,
                this will be as:

                my $file_path = $Server->MapInclude($include);

                It seems a similar idea to MapPath, but MapPath deals with more how
                the web server would translate a URI, while MapInclude() is about how
                Apache::ASP would translate an include execution.

                Let me know if you would like an early release of the module. I'll
                probably release it soon anyway. BTW, to deal with this problem
                before, I have explicitly trapped errors like:

                eval { $Response->Include() }
                if($@) { # deal with missing include }

                since a missing include will trigger a die().