Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP Style Guide, first release

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
      ellers@... wrote:

      > I thought mentioning the OnStart handler for db connection was great. Perhaps add a $dbh = undef or whatever in the OnEnd handler to disconnect? (I know you have the cleanup rollback there... but is that different?)
      >
      > I'm sure there are some others but I can't think of them right now!

      Thanks. Its a good point for memory freeing. I just added
      it to the example.

    • David Morton
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
        > > I thought mentioning the OnStart handler for db connection was
        > great. Perhaps add a $dbh = undef or whatever in the OnEnd handler
        > to disconnect? (I know you have the cleanup rollback there... but is
        > that different?)
        > >
        > > I'm sure there are some others but I can't think of them right now!
        > >

        > Thanks. Its a good point for memory freeing. I just added
        > it to the example.

        This begs a big question that was answered somewhat indirectly:
        Where do you create the database connection?

        Due to the persistant nature of mod_perl (about which I am just learning),
        It is important to get that right. Is this every time the page hits, or that
        the page is compiled, ie the first time this particular apache process runs
        this script?

        It seems that the best efficiency for a busy site would be to load a connection
        up the first time an apache process loads the script, which should be safe, as
        only one script at a time could use that reference. OTOH, a lightly used site
        would hold a lot of uneeded connections.

        Another stle question: I have an app that use a lot of variables like $bgcolor
        and such so I can change just one spot, and it changes all over the
        application. $Application->{bgcolor} seems like a logical place to put it.

        I assumed then, that Application_OnStart was the place to put definitions like
        these; unfortunately, it didn't seem to work, even when I killed apache
        altogether and restarted.
        What should I do?

        --
        David Morton (620) 342-9297
        Vice President mortonda@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
          > > > I thought mentioning the OnStart handler for db connection was
          > > great. Perhaps add a $dbh = undef or whatever in the OnEnd handler
          > > to disconnect? (I know you have the cleanup rollback there... but is
          > > that different?)
          > > >
          > > Thanks. Its a good point for memory freeing. I just added
          > > it to the example.
          >
          > This begs a big question that was answered somewhat indirectly:
          > Where do you create the database connection?

          I just always do it in Script_OnStart. The site I used this with is fine like this ... although having said that it doesn't make huge demands on the DB.

          > Due to the persistant nature of mod_perl (about which I am just learning),
          > It is important to get that right. Is this every time the page hits, or that
          > the page is compiled, ie the first time this particular apache process runs
          > this script?

          If in the Script_OnStart it is every time the page is returned back to the requester. Similarly with the Script_OnEnd for cleaning up the connection. With MySQL (can't speak for other DBs) the connection seems to be quite light-weight...

          > Another stle question: I have an app that use a lot of variables like $bgcolor
          > and such so I can change just one spot, and it changes all over the
          > application. $Application->{bgcolor} seems like a logical place to put it.
          >
          > I assumed then, that Application_OnStart was the place to put definitions like
          > these; unfortunately, it didn't seem to work, even when I killed apache
          > altogether and restarted.
          > What should I do?

          Josh or another list member probably has the "right" answer... but my simple solution to constants is to them in either the Script_OnStart section (prob not necessary in the case of constants) or just in the global.asa file, anywhere.

          HTH
          Ellers

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2002
            >>This begs a big question that was answered somewhat indirectly:
            >>Where do you create the database connection?
            >

            > I just always do it in Script_OnStart. The site I used this with is fine like this ... although having said that it doesn't make huge demands on the DB.

            Yes, use Script_OnStart for best effect. If you want to cache your database
            connections from request to request, which you need to do for heavy
            connections like to Oracle, make sure to just "use Apache::DBI" before
            you ever "use DBI". The best place for this is in a mod_perl style
            startup.pl script that you PerlRequire early on. What Apache::DBI does
            is make it so that a normal DBI->connect just returns a cached connection
            next time it is asked for, so the connection caching is done for you
            transparently.

            >>Due to the persistant nature of mod_perl (about which I am just learning),
            >>It is important to get that right. Is this every time the page hits, or that
            >>the page is compiled, ie the first time this particular apache process runs
            >>this script?

            Script_OnStart is run before each time a script is executed regardless of
            page compilation.

            >>Another stle question: I have an app that use a lot of variables like $bgcolor
            >>and such so I can change just one spot, and it changes all over the
            >>application. $Application->{bgcolor} seems like a logical place to put it.

            I would recommend you stay away from using $Application for much at all,
            and especially things like this. The current definition of Application_OnStart
            is such that it may only get run once during the lifetime of you application,
            as long as your application is in continual use.

            Much better to configure a global hash like this:

            #global.asa

            use vars qw(%Config);
            %Config = (
            bgcolor => 'white',
            text => 'black',
            );

            and then reference your $Config{bgcolor} in your scripts.
            If you would prefer to hijack $Application for this, you could set

            PerlSetVar AllowApplicationState 0

            so that $Application would not be defined, then set your own
            $Application like above in global.asa:

            $Application = {
            bgcolor => 'white',
            text => 'black',
            };

            The default $Application is a file dbm based cache, and though
            not too slow, could hurt performance. The latter $Application
            which you could set up yourself is a per process in memory object
            that would be perfect for read-only access.