Re: How to run Microsoft ASP program within Apache for Win2000 or ones for Linux?

  • Sven Köhler
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
      > If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
      > ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
      > could just get past the name. :)

      In fact ASP was designed by Microsoft (i think) and as Josh said, he has
      only ported the API to Perl - which is what we were all looking for.

      That other people think, that ASP=Microsoft,VBScript,JScript is just
      because they all don't know what they are working with.

      Microsoft's ASP goes along with the WindowsScriptingHost and
      ActiveX-Objects ie ADODB.Connection and much more strange Windows-stuff.

      If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on many points.
      Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth the work (as nobody i know would
      run Apache under Windows).

      I don't see any reason to change the Name of Apache::ASP - this name
      should also lead to the conclusion, that Apache::ASP is a perl-module
      (if some of the common ASP-people would look over the border and would
      see that there's perl out there).

    • D. L. Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
        Hi Sven,

        I'm a little confused as to what you mean by the following paragraph. You
        wrote:

        > If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
        > many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
        > the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
        > under Windows).

        I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
        Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
        Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
        environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
        work on Apache under Windows?

        ~ D ~

      • Sven Köhler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
          >>If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
          >>many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
          >>the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
          >>under Windows).
          >
          > I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
          > Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
          > Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
          > environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
          > work on Apache under Windows?

          I ment, that portin Microsoft's ASP to Windows-Apache would be worth the
          work, as long as it wouldn't run an Linux.

          I was NOT talking of the ASP-API Port that resultet in Apache::ASP.
          Apache::ASP should run fine, where mod_perl runs fine.