Re: How to run Microsoft ASP program within Apache for Win2000 or ones for Linux?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
      David Morton wrote:

      > If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
      > ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
      > could just get past the name. :)

      I have thought about a name change as it evolves, but Apache::ASP's
      naming weakness is also its strength. Because it is already a well
      known platform, it allows those that would not know better a first
      glimpse at open source & perl when they may have never had the opportunity
      otherwise. Granted for us die hard perl geeks, it may be a deterrent,
      but I do try to get the message out. So do your part & spread the word!
      Write some articles about it for perl.com, present at perl/OSS conferences,
      talk it up at your local PM chapter. :)

      > That said, I'll probably be posting some questions soon, trying to learn the
      > "style" needed for good ASP and mod_perl programming. Any good reading before
      > I start to ask questions? :)

      The long awaited Style Guide is finally here:

      http://www.apache-asp.org/style.html

      I just wrote it. I have been meaning to for quite a while, but
      you gave me just the kick I needed, thanks!

      I also have some other bits at http://www.apache-asp.org , in particular
      some conference presentations at http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html#Presentation92f96031
      may be of help.

    • Sven Köhler
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
        > If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
        > ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
        > could just get past the name. :)

        In fact ASP was designed by Microsoft (i think) and as Josh said, he has
        only ported the API to Perl - which is what we were all looking for.

        That other people think, that ASP=Microsoft,VBScript,JScript is just
        because they all don't know what they are working with.

        Microsoft's ASP goes along with the WindowsScriptingHost and
        ActiveX-Objects ie ADODB.Connection and much more strange Windows-stuff.

        If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on many points.
        Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth the work (as nobody i know would
        run Apache under Windows).

        I don't see any reason to change the Name of Apache::ASP - this name
        should also lead to the conclusion, that Apache::ASP is a perl-module
        (if some of the common ASP-people would look over the border and would
        see that there's perl out there).

      • D. L. Fox
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
          Hi Sven,

          I'm a little confused as to what you mean by the following paragraph. You
          wrote:

          > If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
          > many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
          > the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
          > under Windows).

          I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
          Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
          Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
          environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
          work on Apache under Windows?

          ~ D ~

        • Sven Köhler
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
            >>If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
            >>many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
            >>the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
            >>under Windows).
            >
            > I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
            > Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
            > Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
            > environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
            > work on Apache under Windows?

            I ment, that portin Microsoft's ASP to Windows-Apache would be worth the
            work, as long as it wouldn't run an Linux.

            I was NOT talking of the ASP-API Port that resultet in Apache::ASP.
            Apache::ASP should run fine, where mod_perl runs fine.