Re: How to run Microsoft ASP program within Apache for Win2000 or ones for Linux?

  • Sven Köhler
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18 5:47 PM
      > How to run Microsoft ASP program within Apache for Win2000 or ones for
      > Linux?

      *sigh* - this should be in FAQ - so my answer could be RTFM or somethin.

      to make it short: the answer is "no" - not with Apache::ASP

      if you would have read anything about what Apache::ASP really is, you
      would have noticed, that it's limited to Perl - even written in Perl!

      One could try to write an ISAPI-DLL that works with Apache for Windows,
      and uses the asp.dll of IIS to run *.asp-files (i don't think asp.dll
      will run with any ISAPI-capable server) - but this is just to much work
      to be done and not worth the work.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19 11:14 AM
        Sven Köhler wrote:
        >> How to run Microsoft ASP program within Apache for Win2000 or ones
        >> for Linux?
        >

        > *sigh* - this should be in FAQ - so my answer could be RTFM or somethin.
        >
        > to make it short: the answer is "no" - not with Apache::ASP

        The longer answer is that it depends. If the application was
        written in PerlScript for IIS/ASP, then yes it should work pretty
        well under Apache::ASP.

        The problem is user education. Most/many ASP sites are written in VBScript,
        the default language for ASP under IIS, though JScript/PerlScript
        can be used there too. So some developers unknowingly think that
        ASP == VBScript, even though the original definition of Active Server Pages
        that I ported in Apache::ASP 4+ years ago was language neutral.

        I'll make a note to add something better to the FAQ section in this
        regards. I have a note there now about running VBScript, but that
        may not be enough.

      • David Morton
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19 1:01 PM
          > can be used there too. So some developers unknowingly think that
          > ASP == VBScript, even though the original definition of Active Server Pages
          > that I ported in Apache::ASP 4+ years ago was language neutral.

          Indeed - my first reaction to apache::asp was automatic disgust -
          similar to the idea of running MS Frontpage extensions on a linux server.
          Bad karma. I assumed it was the same thing as IIS ASP, ie, VBScript.

          Good thing I looked harder, because what I found was a most elegant way to
          build web applications: Session support, easy access to input data, and the
          ability
          to jump in and out of html with perl code.
          (That's enough, though I see there is still more)

          If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
          ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
          could just get past the name. :)

          That said, I'll probably be posting some questions soon, trying to learn the
          "style" needed for good ASP and mod_perl programming. Any good reading before
          I start to ask questions? :)

          --
          David Morton (620) 342-9297
          Vice President mortonda@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28 1:36 AM
            David Morton wrote:

            > If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
            > ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
            > could just get past the name. :)

            I have thought about a name change as it evolves, but Apache::ASP's
            naming weakness is also its strength. Because it is already a well
            known platform, it allows those that would not know better a first
            glimpse at open source & perl when they may have never had the opportunity
            otherwise. Granted for us die hard perl geeks, it may be a deterrent,
            but I do try to get the message out. So do your part & spread the word!
            Write some articles about it for perl.com, present at perl/OSS conferences,
            talk it up at your local PM chapter. :)

            > That said, I'll probably be posting some questions soon, trying to learn the
            > "style" needed for good ASP and mod_perl programming. Any good reading before
            > I start to ask questions? :)

            The long awaited Style Guide is finally here:

            http://www.apache-asp.org/style.html

            I just wrote it. I have been meaning to for quite a while, but
            you gave me just the kick I needed, thanks!

            I also have some other bits at http://www.apache-asp.org , in particular
            some conference presentations at http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html#Presentation92f96031
            may be of help.

          • Sven Köhler
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28 2:20 AM
              > If there is a problem with apache::asp, it is the name. Everyone assumes
              > ASP=Microsoft. More perl programmers would flock to this, if they
              > could just get past the name. :)

              In fact ASP was designed by Microsoft (i think) and as Josh said, he has
              only ported the API to Perl - which is what we were all looking for.

              That other people think, that ASP=Microsoft,VBScript,JScript is just
              because they all don't know what they are working with.

              Microsoft's ASP goes along with the WindowsScriptingHost and
              ActiveX-Objects ie ADODB.Connection and much more strange Windows-stuff.

              If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on many points.
              Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth the work (as nobody i know would
              run Apache under Windows).

              I don't see any reason to change the Name of Apache::ASP - this name
              should also lead to the conclusion, that Apache::ASP is a perl-module
              (if some of the common ASP-people would look over the border and would
              see that there's perl out there).

            • D. L. Fox
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28 7:20 AM
                Hi Sven,

                I'm a little confused as to what you mean by the following paragraph. You
                wrote:

                > If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
                > many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
                > the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
                > under Windows).

                I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
                Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
                Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
                environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
                work on Apache under Windows?

                ~ D ~

              • Sven Köhler
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 28 1:09 PM
                  >>If i try to port this to Linux-Apache i would fail on
                  >>many points. Porting to Windows-Apache isn't worth
                  >>the work (as nobody i know would run Apache
                  >>under Windows).
                  >
                  > I am running Apache under Windows, and my Apache::ASP is working fine.
                  > Admittedly, this is not a production machine. It's just for personal use.
                  > Did you mean you would not run Apache on Windows in a production
                  > environment? Or, do you mean I got very lucky getting my Apache::ASP to
                  > work on Apache under Windows?

                  I ment, that portin Microsoft's ASP to Windows-Apache would be worth the
                  work, as long as it wouldn't run an Linux.

                  I was NOT talking of the ASP-API Port that resultet in Apache::ASP.
                  Apache::ASP should run fine, where mod_perl runs fine.