Re: 2ND TRY: Q: How to access Apache Request ($r) from Apache::ASP??

  • Ellers
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2002

      > Q: How to access Apache Request ($r) from Apache::ASP??

      Is there such a thing? I thought it was called $Request, as per:

      http://www.apache-asp.org/objects.html

      Maybe I missed $r...

      > Since I don't seem to be lighting a lot of lightbulbs with this question, l
      > et
      > me try a different tack...

      hmm

      > I need to be able to set a PerlSetVar variable (in the Apache httpd.conf)
      >
      > for a virtual server and read it from Apache::ASP. Is there a way to do thi
      > s?

      How is this related to the previous question?

      The following is an excerpt from one of the httpd.conf's I've used:

      <Files ~ (\.asp)>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP

      # The default session serializer has limitations on size.
      # This version does not have that limitation.
      PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File

      # By using Data::Dumper the session is saved in (partially) english.
      # Using Storable would be faster and smaller, but in binary. Not
      # suitable, at least for development.
      PerlSetVar StateSerializer Data::Dumper

      # definitely want Perl to use strict scoping etc
      PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
      </Files>

      hope it lights some lightbulbs for ya

      Ellers

    • Brat Wizard
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2002
        Hello there-

        In the event that there are other dimwits (like me) lurking on this list, I
        thought I'd share what I learned...

        The Apache->request structure is but a simple call away-- it lies just under
        the surface of the Apache::ASP code and can be easily constructed with the
        following syntax:

        my $r = Apache->request;

        Then the $r variable may be used in the manner described in the "Writing
        Apache Modules in Perl & C". (Apache Handlers in Perl)

        This allows you to set a variable in the Apache httpd.conf file like so:

        <some_container blah..blah>
        PerlSetVar foo bar
        </some_container>

        Then in your Apache::ASP code you can access it thusly:

        my $r = Apache->request;
        my $foo = $r->dir_config('foo');
        print "foo = $foo";

        Thanks to Ellers for giving me the clue that allowed me to unravel the answer.

        Regards,

        John

        On Friday 09 August 2002 10:50 am, Brat Wizard spewed into the ether: