Apache ASP and Virtual Hosting

  • bigbadchimpman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hi,

      I'm wondering if anyone has used Apache ASP in a Commercial hosting
      environment. I'm am building a new FreeBSD - Apache virtual hosting
      server. Not sure how scalable apache-asp is ? or what security issues
      may arise from installing it ?

      Any comments would be appreciated.

    • Joel Hughes
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
        Hi,
        have you looked at http://chamas.com/bench/?

        This gives you some food for thought regarding performance - but it wont
        address your security questions.

        joel

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
          bigbadchimpman wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm wondering if anyone has used Apache ASP in a Commercial hosting
          > environment. I'm am building a new FreeBSD - Apache virtual hosting
          > server. Not sure how scalable apache-asp is ? or what security issues
          > may arise from installing it ?
          >
          > Any comments would be appreciated.

          About security, Apache::ASP has no more security concerns
          than running mod_perl. To my knowledge neither mod_perl
          nor Apache::ASP themselves have any security holes. There
          was one examples file that shipped with Apache::ASP that had
          a security hole a couple years back, but that's it.

          Using mod_perl itself in a shared environment is fine as
          long as many developers / users are not sharing the same
          executing mod_perl/apache httpd. Because mod_perl is
          persistent across requests, sharing between users could
          result in one user being able to connect to another user's
          database for example. So this kind of use is not secure.
          However, if a user has their own non-shared httpd running,
          then it should be as safe as anything else one can run
          in a virtual hosted environment. The apache/mod_perl httpd
          should probably be running as that user's username in that
          shared hosting environment.

          A final note about security... while I do not know of any
          security holes in Apache::ASP or mod_perl, that is not to
          say that security exploits might not be discovered now or
          in the future. This latter is true with any software.