RFC: XMLSubs <%= %> in attributes

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
      Hey,

      I am working on the next release of Apache::ASP, which seems
      like it will be a major one. In particular, I will be adding support
      for <%= %> in the XMLSubs attributes, but this functionality
      will not be backward compatible with the default raw perl arguments.

      I would like your comments on this matter if interested.
      I believe, though painful, fixing this part of XMLSubs is a
      good long term move, and making this the default is for the best.

      <%= %> expressions will be allowed in XMLSubs attributes, as in:

      <my:tag arg="<%= $object->{member} %>" />

      This new functionality makes XMLSubs more ASPish, and does not rely
      on perl string interpolation for dynamic arguments to XMLSubs.
      The old method of attribute data being interpreted as raw
      perl strings would be deprecated. These old tags could look like:

      <my:tag arg="$object{member}" />

      This old functionality is not compatible with the new,
      but would be activated with:

      PerlSetVar XMLSubsPerlArgs 1

      Applications relying on this old behavior will have to use
      this config to continue to work.

      -- Josh
    • Philip Mak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
        On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:46:14PM -0700, Josh Chamas wrote:
        > <%= %> expressions will be allowed in XMLSubs attributes, as in:
        >
        > <my:tag arg="<%= $object->{member} %>" />

        That will be nice. I tried to do that ever since I first found out
        about XMLSubs.

        > This old functionality is not compatible with the new,
        > but would be activated with:
        >
        > PerlSetVar XMLSubsPerlArgs 1

        Sounds good.

        It might make sense to set XMLSubsPerlArgs to 1 by default for
        backward compatibility reasons. If not, there should be a *very
        visible* note in the changelog to tell people not to upgrade their
        Apache::ASP version blindly without considering that setting first.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
          Philip Mak wrote:
          > Sounds good.
          >
          > It might make sense to set XMLSubsPerlArgs to 1 by default for
          > backward compatibility reasons. If not, there should be a *very
          > visible* note in the changelog to tell people not to upgrade their
          > Apache::ASP version blindly without considering that setting first.

          I agree totally on making the warning BIG & very VISIBLE.
          I do not want to keep the old behavior as default though,
          as I believe the defaults should be set to be preferred
          or "standard" configs.

          While we are talking about good configs, how about making
          UseStrict 1 the default at the same time?! This would be of
          great benefit to developers in the long term, but the migration
          pains would be great. This is one of the greatest pains
          for mod_perl development generally, when one does not have
          "use strict" & ends up with odd globals shared.

          We can have beta releases like 2.90_01 that won't get
          installed by CPAN, and which would lead up to 3.00 stable
          release. The big 3.00 release should give developers enough
          pause to read the CHANGES before installing I would hope.

        • Philip Mak
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002
            On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:22:14PM -0700, Josh Chamas wrote:
            > While we are talking about good configs, how about making
            > UseStrict 1 the default at the same time?! This would be of
            > great benefit to developers in the long term, but the migration
            > pains would be great. This is one of the greatest pains
            > for mod_perl development generally, when one does not have
            > "use strict" & ends up with odd globals shared.

            I agree that "PerlSetVar UseStrict 1" is a Good Thing. I use it on all
            my mod_perl sites; it seems to be just asking for trouble otherwise.

            > We can have beta releases like 2.90_01 that won't get
            > installed by CPAN, and which would lead up to 3.00 stable
            > release. The big 3.00 release should give developers enough
            > pause to read the CHANGES before installing I would hope.

            Sounds like a plan.