I don't manage understanding the way global.asa's working

  • Ismael Touama
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I manage cutting the error I get with Application_onStart!
      in my error_log [PerlSetVar] , I'm know searching for Session_OnStart!
      (I guees I'll manage *I'm reading the JC OSS convention)...

      I'm asking for some good *EXPLICIT* link or doc to understand
      the way global.asa is working. It seems totally diferent from
      on IIS...

      Thanks for helps, stuffs...
      bbsc
      ism

    • Ismael Touama
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
        in fact it wasn't an error isn't it ?
        I put in rem the $Response->AppendToLog
        lines from the global.asa.
        What is the pedagogic aim of this ?
        Showing that the object can attempt the log
        files ? So why it put this as an error ?
        It can lead in a bad way the new guy's learning
        the stuff...
        Thank you,
        ism

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
          Ismael Touama wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I manage cutting the error I get with Application_onStart!
          > in my error_log [PerlSetVar] , I'm know searching for Session_OnStart!
          > (I guees I'll manage *I'm reading the JC OSS convention)...
          >
          > I'm asking for some good *EXPLICIT* link or doc to understand
          > the way global.asa is working. It seems totally diferent from
          > on IIS...

          This is the best there is so far:

          http://www.apache-asp.org/events.html

          [[ from other email ]]

          > in fact it wasn't an error isn't it ?
          > I put in rem the $Response->AppendToLog
          > lines from the global.asa.

          The [error] is a side effect of Apache->log_error
          being used internally. I believe I answered a question
          like this from you before, what is different here that
          you are trying to clarify?

          > What is the pedagogic aim of this ?
          > Showing that the object can attempt the log
          > files ? So why it put this as an error ?
          > It can lead in a bad way the new guy's learning
          > the stuff...
          > Thank you,

          So what's the problem here? That there is [error]
          in the error_log messages? This is just how it works.

        • Ismael Touama
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
            Hi-again and thanks for answer...

            Even if it is in error_log, I don't see here the interest
            to put this as an error...It disturbing me and that's all.
            I certainly ask before kind of weird and non-accurate question.
            I'll see events.html but I don't know if it's because of my non-
            natural language but I have a lot of trouble with the whole doc!
            (it's not a criticize thing, it's because i feel i spend a lot of
            time on...without much understood).

            The next thing I do (after -event.html- *again*) is installing
            MySQL and then try to make work my existent ASP app turning on IIS.
            Own global.asa and vbscript transcripted into perl.
            I guess it's the better thing I have to do. After that, I may be more
            accurate on my crazy, stupid, or what remarks...

            Thx again,
            bbsc
            ism

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
              Ismael Touama wrote:
              > Hi-again and thanks for answer...
              >
              > Even if it is in error_log, I don't see here the interest
              > to put this as an error...It disturbing me and that's all.
              > I certainly ask before kind of weird and non-accurate question.
              > I'll see events.html but I don't know if it's because of my non-
              > natural language but I have a lot of trouble with the whole doc!
              > (it's not a criticize thing, it's because i feel i spend a lot of
              > time on...without much understood).

              There are 2 standard log files for Apache, access_log & error_log.
              While I could have created a custom asp_log for Apache::ASP
              to put messages into, I did not want to create yet another
              log file for management. The only mod_perl API for getting
              consistent messages into the error_log was $r->log_error,
              so that is what I used. I could have certainly used some
              custom "print STDERR $message" kind of thing to get messages
              in there, but I wanted this to be consistent with other
              messages going to the error_log, so access it via the API.

              > The next thing I do (after -event.html- *again*) is installing
              > MySQL and then try to make work my existent ASP app turning on IIS.
              > Own global.asa and vbscript transcripted into perl.
              > I guess it's the better thing I have to do. After that, I may be more
              > accurate on my crazy, stupid, or what remarks...

              Right. When actually working with Apache::ASP will you discover
              its benefits and limitations. When running into a design challenge,
              you might ask the list for how others might approach things, but
              you should think through the problems fully before posting for
              best results.

            • Ismael Touama
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
                > The next thing I do (after -event.html- *again*) is installing
                > MySQL and then try to make work my existent ASP app turning on IIS.
                > Own global.asa and vbscript transcripted into perl.
                > I guess it's the better thing I have to do. After that, I may be more
                > accurate on my crazy, stupid, or what remarks...

                Right. When actually working with Apache::ASP will you discover
                its benefits and limitations. When running into a design challenge,
                you might ask the list for how others might approach things, but
                you should think through the problems fully before posting for
                best results.

                $ Right too.
                $ I don't have enough experience and experience of approach,
                $ It's maybe why I can pass for a kind of newbie or lammer or
                $ whatever f****n' thing...I'm less than one year *experienced*,
                $ so my approach is not really consistent, and judicious as far
                $ as I can compare on the net.
                $ However I try to push the problem before asking, *simply* to
                $ understand what I do. Except when it's emergency case.
                $ So let's see us in few days ;op
                $ After that I hope I'll can disturb you (;op)...really

                $ Good work, good week-end & nice job
                $ thx again
                $ bbsc
                ism