Re: [OT] Good coding practice

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2002
      Philip Mak wrote:
      > If I had to write it again, I would do something like this instead:
      >
      > my %f = %{$Request->Form};
      > my %d = ();
      > for (keys %f) {
      > $d{$_} = $dbh->quote($f{$_});
      > }
      > $d{collection} = 'NULL' unless $f{collection};
      > $d{track} = 'NULL' unless $f{track};
      >
      > and then I can access all the form variables using %f, and the
      > database quoted version of the form variables using %d.

      This is a good tip on better coding practice... futher
      I would recommend that people not use $dbh->quote() at all,
      but rather make use of bind parameters like:

      my $form = $Request->Form();
      my $sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from sometable where column1 = ?");
      $sth->execute($form->{column1});
      my $row = $sth->fetchrow_array;
      - or even simpler -
      my $form = $Request->Form();
      my $row = $dbh->selectrow_array("select * from sometable where column1 = ?", undef, $form->{column1});

      I know in perl there are many ways, but using bind parameters let you
      never to have to use $dbh->quote ( I have never had to use it ),
      or default to NULL ( since undef is NULL for bind params ), with the
      added benefit for some databases that cache execution plans like Oracle,
      using bind paramters will let the SGA cache statements that are prepared
      previously better, without bind parameters any kind of db statement plan
      cache would be flushed pretty quickly.