O'Reilly Open Source Convention Call for Proposals

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2002
      Dear Apache::ASP Community,

      I am forwarding this to you with the hopes that some of you
      might rise up to the challenge and present on Apache::ASP
      at the next O'Reilly open source conference.

      O'Reilly Open Source Convention
      Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina
      July 22-26, 2002 -- San Diego, CA

      http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/create/e_sess

      The deadline for submitting proposals is March 1, 2002.

      If you are willing to put together a 3-hour tutorial, I believe
      O'Reilly will fly you out from wherever & give you a $1500
      stipend besides.

      I would recommend however doing a 45 or 90 minute session partly
      because it would be easier, but more importantly sessions are free
      for conference attendees so you normally get a much better turnout
      than tutorials. I am not sure what compensation O'Reilly provides
      for session speakers, if any, but who needs compensation when
      you are passionate about open source :)

      Lots of the mod_perl guys don't get there until midweek when the
      sessions start because that is all they present on. But some of the
      hard core notables like Stas Bekman & Doug MacEachern are often doing
      tutorials so you can catch them earlier on in a mod_perl bar type setting!

      You can speak on Apache::ASP in all sort of ways for example:

      * Case Studies:

      - how standards based Apache::ASP let my companies 4 web developers
      turn out 100 client sites last year

      - how we served 1M web users in a month without breaking
      a sweat using Apache::ASP ... some tuning tricks we used too

      - internal help desk: case study in getting things done in
      corporate IT. Reasons we chose Apache::ASP over other
      web development solution. Management buy-in hurdles to
      overcome ( they didn't know it wasn't IIS/NT until to late ).

      * Best Practices

      - Large development team methodology, how to create an architecture
      that coordinates 3 perl engineers & 10 web developers all
      working on the same sites. Looks at dev/QA/production web
      server isolation, publishing methodologies & source control management
      and how Apache::ASP architecture was deployed to facilitate these things.

      - Design for reuse. Going into how to create perl modules,
      ASP includes & XMLSubs components for increased code reusability
      & better abstraction between data, logic, & formatting ( sounds like XSLT? )

      * Architectural / Config

      - XSLT with Apache::ASP

      - Web Clustering / Scalability with Apache::ASP

      - Performance tuning Apache::ASP, possibly include benchmarking
      and other advanced configs like dual httpd mod_proxy config.

      I have done 2 3-hour tutorials for Apache::ASP the past couple
      of years which you can find at:

      http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html#Presentation70b98c21

      I will likely go to the conference, but may not be presenting this
      year. I haven't decided yet, but the more the merrier, and I would
      be happy to work with whomever on their presentations.

      For those that are feeling particularly green there are even these
      newer lightning talks where you can do a 5+ minute presentation.

      So check it out & let us know what you submit a proposal for!