Prototype mismatch

  • Philip Mak
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2002
      Does anyone know what this message in my error log means?

      [Sun Jan 6 08:48:38 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
      Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::Compiles::_home_shoujoai_global_global_asax3923adc3e76bb3f58ab02b2d54297b4d::time2str (;$) vs ($;$$) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Exporter.pm line 57.
      at /home/shoujoai/global/global.asa line 5

      Line 5 in global.asa says "use Date::Format;". There aren't any errors that
      actually occur, but that error message shows up in the error_log every so
      often.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2002
        Philip Mak wrote:

        > Does anyone know what this message in my error log means?
        >
        > [Sun Jan 6 08:48:38 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
        > Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::Compiles::_home_shoujoai_global_global_asax3923adc3e76bb3f58ab02b2d54297b4d::time2str (;$) vs ($;$$) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Exporter.pm line 57.
        > at /home/shoujoai/global/global.asa line 5
        >
        > Line 5 in global.asa says "use Date::Format;". There aren't any errors that
        > actually occur, but that error message shows up in the error_log every so
        > often.

        I don't know exactly the problem here. I might see if its something
        that only occurs under $^W = 1, and might turn that off site wide with

        PerlWarn Off

        But I would be sure to enable "use strict;" cross site too like:

        PerlSetVar UseStrict 1

        the latter which is Apache::ASP specific.

        The notes for this error from "perldoc perldiag" are as follows:

        Prototype mismatch: %s vs %s
        (S) The subroutine being declared or defined had
        previously been declared or defined with a different
        function prototype.

        But I am not sure if that leads to any clear fix ... perhaps
        Exporter was not being used correctly by the module in question?

      • Philip Mak
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2002
          On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:10:06PM -0800, Joshua Chamas wrote:
          > > Does anyone know what this message in my error log means?
          > >
          > > [Sun Jan 6 08:48:38 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
          > > Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::Compiles::_home_shoujoai_global_global_asax3923adc3e76bb3f58ab02b2d54297b4d::time2str (;$) vs ($;$$) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Exporter.pm line 57.
          > > at /home/shoujoai/global/global.asa line 5

          I found the problem. I'm using both HTTP::Date and Date::Format. Both
          of these modules export the time2str function by default, but their
          versions of time2str do different things and have different function
          prototypes.

          Kind of messy; I'm guessing it's not possible to include a module and
          tell it not to export a specific function, if it's already exporting
          that function by default...

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2002
            Philip Mak wrote:

            > On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:10:06PM -0800, Joshua Chamas wrote:
            > > > Does anyone know what this message in my error log means?
            > > >
            > > > [Sun Jan 6 08:48:38 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
            > > > Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::Compiles::_home_shoujoai_global_global_asax3923adc3e76bb3f58ab02b2d54297b4d::time2str (;$) vs ($;$$) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Exporter.pm line 57.
            > > > at /home/shoujoai/global/global.asa line 5
            >
            > I found the problem. I'm using both HTTP::Date and Date::Format. Both
            > of these modules export the time2str function by default, but their
            > versions of time2str do different things and have different function
            > prototypes.
            >
            > Kind of messy; I'm guessing it's not possible to include a module and
            > tell it not to export a specific function, if it's already exporting
            > that function by default...

            Try "require HTTP::Date;" to load the module, but without importing its
            default functions. To "use" a module not only loads it, but calls
            its import() method as well which is responsible for method defs getting
            exported from its namespace when using Exporter.

          • Csongor Fagyal
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2002
              Hi,

              I am having some strange ASP errors: on one ASP page I am getting
              "document contains no data" messages. In the logs I see:

              Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::str2time ($;$) vs none at
              /home/www/xxxxxx/xxxxx.pl line 14
              Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::str2time ($;$) vs none at
              /home/www/xxxxxx/xxxxx.pl line 14
              Prototype mismatch: sub Apache::ASP::str2time ($;$) vs none at
              /home/www/xxxxxx/xxxxx.pl line 14
              [...]
              repeated many times.

              I have an included (require-d) this xxxxx.pl script which does this:

              BEGIN {
              do "/something.pl";
              };

              use strict;

              use Time::Local;
              use lib $PATH_LIB;
              use somethingelse;
              use somethingelse2;
              use somethingelse3;
              use Date::Parse; <- this is which have str2time, this is line 14
              use Data::Dumper;

              In the logs I also have "Attempt to free non-existent shared string" and
              then the string (which is in fact a HTML page).

              I must have mixed up something totally. Any ideas on these artifacts?

              - Cs.