Where's & which's my httpd ?

  • Ismael Touama
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2002
      Hi overthere!

      Yesterday i succeed, *not in a clear understand*,
      to compile mod_perl and apache_1.3.24.
      httpd -l gave me the rights modules.

      I erase my binary rmps based installation of apache_1.3.20.
      (rpm -qe apache)

      But today I can't find it!
      I've got severals httpd daemon and I can't use anyone !
      I've got this:
      # find / -name httpd
      /home/httpd
      /usr/share/doc/qt-devel-2.3.1/examples/httpd # whiwh is this one !!?
      /usr/local/apache/bin/htpd # the previous apcahe (rpm based)
      /usr/local/mod_perl-1.26/t/httpd # from my mod_perl, didn't try it
      /usr/local/apache_1.3.24/src/httpd # my new fresh, compiled apache
      /var/log/httpd
      /etc/httpd

      and 3 others files backed up.

      Must i re-issue the manipulations ?

      Thx,
      bbsc,
      ism

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2002
        Ismael Touama wrote:

        > Hi overthere!
        >
        > Yesterday i succeed, *not in a clear understand*,
        > to compile mod_perl and apache_1.3.24.
        > httpd -l gave me the rights modules.

        When you did httpd -l and got the right modules,
        which httpd were you using?

        Try:

        prompt> which httpd

        to find the path that you executed.

        Note that at the end of compiling your own mod_perl,
        it is typical to run "make install" where it will
        install your apache usually in a location like

        /usr/local/apache

        but that might be different depending on how you
        configured your apache build I guess.

      • Ismael Touama
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2002
          Hi & thx,

          I don't understand, I ran "make install"
          'which' gave me 'no httpd' althought I ran 'httpd -l'.
          What was goin' worng, goin' on ?

          bbsc,
          ism

          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2002
            Ismael Touama wrote:

            > Hi & thx,
            >
            > I don't understand, I ran "make install"
            > 'which' gave me 'no httpd' althought I ran 'httpd -l'.
            > What was goin' worng, goin' on ?
            >
            > bbsc,
            > ism

            "which httpd" will only pick up httpd in your path.
            If you install apache in /usr/local/apache, then
            it will likely not be in your PATH though may work fine.

            If you are in the directory that the httpd resides
            in after building it, and if "." is in your path, then you
            will be able to run

            prompt> httpd -l

            While doing the "make install" for apache, watch where
            its installing into. Likely it went to /usr/local/apache
            if you were doing a static build, so then you would be
            able to do

            /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l

          • Ismael Touama
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2002
              Hi Josh and thanks...
              Ok, my mod_perl is yet installed, control done
              via telnet command line...
              Let's above what's wrong now.
              Ismael Touama wrote:

              > Hi & thx,
              >
              > I don't understand, I ran "make install"
              > 'which' gave me 'no httpd' althought I ran 'httpd -l'.
              > What was goin' worng, goin' on ?
              >
              > bbsc,
              > ism

              "which httpd" will only pick up httpd in your path.
              If you install apache in /usr/local/apache, then
              it will likely not be in your PATH though may work fine.

              $ I have really misunderstoods with the way the variable
              $ environment is implmented or just use by the system ($PATH).
              $ Yesterday, just after install (_few_severals_attempts_after)
              $ httpd and apachectl worked fine after a fresh compile
              $ and then after a reboot too in my /usr/local/apache/bin.
              $ The way I understand the stuff is that the compile alters
              $ programs located in the initial apache directory.
              $ IS THAT QUITE WRITE ?
              $ What kind of process could disabled the use of its ?!!
              $ Ok I find one interessant thing. It doesn't work when
              $ we situe ourself in the current directory...so

              If you are in the directory that the httpd resides
              in after building it, and if "." is in your path, then you
              will be able to run

              prompt> httpd -l

              $ ...so, in fact no...
              $ "." is in the directory [_is_that_different_that_*path*_?]

              While doing the "make install" for apache, watch where
              its installing into. Likely it went to /usr/local/apache
              if you were doing a static build,

              $ It reaveals another problem to my head...
              $ Static build and non-static-build (DSO)...
              $ Yes i guess it was the static way no "USE_DSO=1"

              so then you would be
              able to do

              /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l

              $ Yes but not from the current directory...strange isn't it ?
              $ Great thx,
              $ bbsc,
              $ ism

              Message 6 of 6 , May 14, 2002
                > $ I have really misunderstoods with the way the variable
                > $ environment is implmented or just use by the system ($PATH).
                > $ Yesterday, just after install (_few_severals_attempts_after)
                > $ httpd and apachectl worked fine after a fresh compile
                > $ and then after a reboot too in my /usr/local/apache/bin.
                > $ The way I understand the stuff is that the compile alters
                > $ programs located in the initial apache directory.
                > $ IS THAT QUITE WRITE ?
                > $ What kind of process could disabled the use of its ?!!
                > $ Ok I find one interessant thing. It doesn't work when
                > $ we situe ourself in the current directory...so

                If you haven't already, I would recommend getting a book on unix
                since the kinds of things that we are discussing are specific
                to that platform and have little to do with running Apache::ASP.
                The Apache::ASP mailing list is for support of running Apache::ASP,
                but this assumes that you already know how to work with the
                platform that you are on.

                Once a program is correctly installed in a place like /usr/local/apache,
                I cannot imagine what mechanism would prevent it from working later
                if it worked before. Subtle things like which user ( root or non-root )
                you are running as can make a big difference though, as well
                as whether there is an instance of httpd already running, bound
                to port 80.

                > $ ...so, in fact no...
                > $ "." is in the directory [_is_that_different_that_*path*_?]

                . represents the current working directory, so if you
                cd /usr/local/apache/bin, then . = /usr/local/apache/bin
                and if you run "./httpd" you will really be running
                /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

                > $ It reaveals another problem to my head...
                > $ Static build and non-static-build (DSO)...
                > $ Yes i guess it was the static way no "USE_DSO=1"

                Right, static build is no "USE_DSO=1"