RE: Get Warning

  • Ismael Touama
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2002
      Yeah !
      I just saw that POD was for "Plain Old Documentation",
      so I can make my install !... ?

      De : Ellers [mailto:ellers@...]
      Envoye : mercredi 10 avril 2002 03:48
      A : asp@...; Ismael Touama

      Hmmm, what operating system (presumably Linunx?) are you using? What
      distribution/version (e.g. Debian, Redhat)?

      It could be that you could load a pre-built version of
      apache/mod_perl/apache::ASP for your operating system. This doesn't really
      solve
      your question below but you might be able to step around it.

      You posted an earlier question about migrating VBScript to Apache::ASP. I
      don't know VBScript (I'm a bit of a perl bigot) but I had thought it
      was a cut-down script-ish version of Visual basic. If that's the case then
      migrating that to Perl would potentially mean a complete re-write of
      all of your code. Perl is great, but I hope re-writing is what you want to
      do...

      Ellers

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10, 2002
        Ismael Touama wrote:

        > Yeah !
        > I just saw that POD was for "Plain Old Documentation",
        > so I can make my install !... ?

        Check out http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Build%20Apache0292e216

        You can try a quick build of mod_perl / apache with Apache Toolbox.
        Try first to build just mod_perl/Apache & nothing else, and if you
        want to see how much else you can get working with Apache Toolbox,
        then go for it.

        mod_perl is not yet production ready with Apache 2.0 ... you will
        need to use an older/stable 1.3.x apache. Apache 2.0 is very new
        at least by my standards as it was just released in the past few
        weeks as production ready.

        About porting your code, you might check out http://www.asp2php.com
        which lists other options in addition to Apache::ASP which might
        work better for you.

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 10, 2002
          Ismael Touama wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > new to the list, new to linux and apache too, so: HELLo COMMUNITY !
          > I have to migrate an entire web site...
          > so I have to translate my VBScript into perl.
          > I even don't configure my Apache to admit ASP pages.
          > I intended to make a script to do so, by making a shell script.
          > So Response.Write will be $Response->Write... is it the good way ?
          > I don't know perl, so is the migration could be complicated ?

          Sure, it could be very complicated, but depending on your code
          complexity it may not be too bad. Please see my other email
          for further suggestions.

        • Ismael Touama
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 10, 2002
            oK THERE IS LOT OF THING THAT I MISUNDERSTOOD OR NOT UNDERSTAND...

            I decide to come to my previous state...
            How can I come back from 'perl Makefile.PL' command line ?
            Thanks all,
            ism

            > I just saw that POD was for "Plain Old Documentation",
            > so I can make my install !... ?

            Check out http://www.apache-asp.org/install.html#Build%20Apache0292e216

            You can try a quick build of mod_perl / apache with Apache Toolbox.
            Try first to build just mod_perl/Apache & nothing else, and if you
            want to see how much else you can get working with Apache Toolbox,
            then go for it.

            mod_perl is not yet production ready with Apache 2.0 ... you will
            need to use an older/stable 1.3.x apache. Apache 2.0 is very new
            at least by my standards as it was just released in the past few
            weeks as production ready.

            About porting your code, you might check out http://www.asp2php.com
            which lists other options in addition to Apache::ASP which might
            work better for you.

          • Ellers
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 10, 2002
              4/10/02 5:54:51 PM, "Ismael Touama" <ismael.touama@...> wrote:

              >oK THERE IS LOT OF THING THAT I MISUNDERSTOOD OR NOT UNDERSTAND...
              >
              >I decide to come to my previous state...
              >How can I come back from 'perl Makefile.PL' command line ?

              I'm not sure which module you're making, but in general perl modules go like this:

              > perl Makefile.PL
              > make
              > make test # this is optional
              > make install

              Given that you are on redhat 7.2 there may be a RPM (ie pre-built package) for Apache 1.x with mod_perl built in? So you wouldn't need to
              build mod_perl yourself. Then all you would need is to build/install Apache::ASP. There might even be an RPM for Apache::ASP, I'm not
              sure.

              HTH
              Ellers

            • Ismael Touama
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 2002
                yes thank you...
                But i read on the site (apache-asp.org) that using rpm could causes
                problems...Furthermore i'm interest to do so manually so i hope i'll
                better understand what tricks are happening concerning apache, mod_perl and
                Apache::ASP...
                So I intend to Boot on my last Kernell with my diskette-boot !
                Is it a good idea to find a stable state system ?
                Thank you,
                ism