Request-URI Too Large

  • Matt Orlofsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      I'm attempting to use LWP::UserAgent and via a post, HTTP::Request->new(POST
      => $url);, send a very large URI. This URI request exceeds the
      LimitRequestLine of 8190 bytes. Which I understand to be the max the Apache
      server will allow. I don't believe this limit can be increased and I think
      the only way to decrees it is to recompile. If there is a way to increase
      this limit, that would be great. Otherwise, I was wondering if perhaps the
      URI gets sent to a buffer somewhere in the Apache::ASP? And if maybe there
      is a way to empty that buffer before it gets full and returns the 414 error?
      Thanks in advance.

      Matt

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        Matt Orlofsky wrote:

        > I'm attempting to use LWP::UserAgent and via a post, HTTP::Request->new(POST
        > => $url);, send a very large URI. This URI request exceeds the
        > LimitRequestLine of 8190 bytes. Which I understand to be the max the Apache
        > server will allow. I don't believe this limit can be increased and I think
        > the only way to decrees it is to recompile. If there is a way to increase
        > this limit, that would be great. Otherwise, I was wondering if perhaps the
        > URI gets sent to a buffer somewhere in the Apache::ASP? And if maybe there
        > is a way to empty that buffer before it gets full and returns the 414 error?
        > Thanks in advance.

        This error occurs in apache before Apache::ASP gets to see the request.
        You should consider sending the GET parameter $Request->QueryString
        as POST data to be seen instead in $Request->Form. There are fewer
        practical limits on the amount of POST data you can send.

      • Stephen Bardsley
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          Matt:

          Try this...

          Client code
          =============================
          #!/usr/bin/perl -w

          use LWP;
          use strict;

          my $request = HTTP::Request->new(POST => 'http://24.58.176.170/demo/test-post.asp');
          $request->content_type( 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' );
          $request->content( 'name=' . 'junk ' x 4096 );

          my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;

          my $response = $ua->request( $request );

          if ( $response->is_success )
          {
          print $response->content."\n\n";
          }
          else
          {
          print $response->error_as_HTML."\n\n";
          }

          Apache::ASP code
          <% my $data = $Request->Form()->{name} %>

          The data is: <%=$data%>

          The size is: <%=length($data)%>

          Enjoy!

          Steve