Problem with Apache::ASP under Apache 2.4

  • Koebrick, Andrew (MNIT)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9 11:41 AM
      Howdy,

      I am attempting to upgrade our web server to use Apache 2.4, and the Apache::ASP is failing with this message:

      Can't locate object method "remote_ip" via package "Apache2::Connection
      " at /usr/local/share/perl5/Apache/ASP/StateManager.pm line 85.\n at /usr/local/share/perl5/Apache/ASP/StateManager.pm line 85.\n\tApache::ASP::InitState('Ap
      ache::ASP=HASH(0x7f8184d3dbe8)') called at /usr/local/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 421\n\tApache::ASP::new('Apache::ASP', 'Apache2::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x7f8
      184d3d990)', '/home/httpd/html/error.html') called at /usr/local/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 184\n\tApache::ASP::handler('Apache2::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x7f8
      184d3d990)') called at -e line 0\n\teval {...} called at -e line 0\n

      It looks like the Apache2::Connection API changed quite a bit in 2.4

      Are there any thoughts of updating the Apache::ASP code? I still have lots of pages using the package and would love to keep using it. Otherwise, I guess if this project is not active I will start the unpleasant task of migrating off of it.

      Thanks,

      Andrew Koebrick

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9 1:52 PM
        On 7/9/2013 12:41, Koebrick, Andrew (MNIT) wrote:

        > It looks like the Apache2::Connection API changed quite a bit in 2.4

        How have you made that determination?

        Here's the original Apache2::Connection API reference:

        https://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/Connection.html

        If you change the URL in the obvious way for Apache 2.2 or 2.4, you get
        a 404 page. I took that to mean the Apache 2.0 Perl API is still the
        current API.

        Have you tried examining your copy of Apache2/Connection.pm? Assuming
        it is actually present -- and if not, that explains the problem -- does
        it truly not have a remote_ip() function?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 4:15 PM
          Please send replies to the mailing list, not direct to the one who
          replied to your post.

          On 7/9/2013 15:32, Koebrick, Andrew (MNIT) wrote:

          > httpd-2.4 has changed it's API somewhat, the
          > Apache2::Connection::remote_ip method is now
          > Apache2::Connection::client_ip."

          So what happens if you change the reference on line 85 of
          Apache/ASP/StateManager.pm from remote_ip to client_ip? If it works,
          post a patch and someone with a commit bit will apply it for you.

          And, if there's anyone reading this from the Perl Apache API
          documentation team, why are the Apache 2.0 docs still the only ones on
          your site?

        • Koebrick, Andrew (MNIT)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10 12:41 PM
            Sorry for the misdirected reply.

            I have changed all reference from remote_ip to client_ip in the following Apache::ASP files on our system:
            Load.pm (1 occurrence)
            CGI.pm (2 occurrences)
            StateManager.pm (3 occurrences)

            That seems to have solved the problem. I hesitate however to post a patch since this fix is only good for Apache2.4 and I believe would break instances running on earlier version. Perhaps a wiser programmer can add the appropriate server version checks in a conditional so that it will work appropriately for all versions of Apache.

            Thanks again for the reply. Happy to see that people are still monitoring this list. Incidentally, what is the current project home? http://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-asp or http://www.apache-asp.org/?

            Andrew

            Please send replies to the mailing list, not direct to the one who replied to your post.

            On 7/9/2013 15:32, Koebrick, Andrew (MNIT) wrote:

            > httpd-2.4 has changed it's API somewhat, the
            > Apache2::Connection::remote_ip method is now
            > Apache2::Connection::client_ip."

            So what happens if you change the reference on line 85 of Apache/ASP/StateManager.pm from remote_ip to client_ip? If it works, post a patch and someone with a commit bit will apply it for you.

            And, if there's anyone reading this from the Perl Apache API documentation team, why are the Apache 2.0 docs still the only ones on your site?

          • Tsirkin Evgeny
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11 2:19 AM
              The sourceforge is more current if I remember correctly
              (I was trying to participate in the project a year ago but eventually was not able to,
              hope I will have a chance...)
              Anyway ,I guess that to make it work for multiple Apache version you should just
              check for function being declared (exists or defined would do that)
              Evgeny

              Message 6 of 7 , May 20, 2014
                Hi Andrew,

                Sorry for the ridiculous delay here! I was just looking at getting mod_perl +
                apache 2.4 running and it seems to be a work in progress still, and the latest
                status seems to be here dated April 2014:

                http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/201404.mbox/browser

                "The latest release of mod_perl doesn't yet support httpd-2.4, but we
                are working on it and getting close to making a new release that does.

                In the meantime you might like to try out the "httpd24threading" branch at

                https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/branches/httpd24threading

                which is largely working and is what will (hopefully soon) become mod_perl-2.09."

                How did you get mod_perl working then with Apache 2.4, and do you in fact have a
                working installation?

                Josh Chamas
                Skol Labs LLC

                Message 7 of 7 , May 20, 2014
                  Josh,

                  No problem regarding the delay. Yes I have a working installation. I am running:
                  Server version: Apache/2.4.9 (Fedora)

                  I fixed my install problem by changing line 85 of StateManager.pm to:
                  $self->{remote_ip} = $r->connection()->client_ip();

                  Good to see that there is action on the Apache::ASP front. I still have many websites running with a basic Apache::ASP installation (basically just to embed perl in HTML). And though I am in the process of migrating many to Drupal, it will be a while until I am done.

                  I had to dig through my old email / postings to find this line. So if I misunderstood your question and sent the wrong tidbit, just let me know.