Re: apache::asp maintenance ,again

  • Gregory Youngblood
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
      I had volunteered a while back but then Josh released an update and things continued. I'd like to see Apache::ASP continue as well.

      Has anyone heard from josh?

      On Aug 14, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

      > Hi all.
      > Yes ,we are still using the apache::asp ,it is a great peace of software after all.
      > And we want to thank the original authors for the work they have done.
      > Anyway ,it looks like there is not a lot of going on with the module now.
      > Still, we are maintaining a very big application that uses it.
      > We use perl + Apache::ASP extensively .
      > I guess there are others out there in our position.
      > Also, It looks like there is a need for at least one patch being applied .
      > So ,maybe the original authors want to take the maintenance back?
      > Or is there anybody with write permissions on the module in CPAN?
      > We don't want any changes etc... just to make sure that everything works.
      > Thanks
      > Evgeny

    • Gregory Youngblood
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
        How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?

        Greg

        On Aug 14, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

        I have numerous fixes for Apache::ASP including the one mentioned here.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
          On 8/14/2011 2:40 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
          > How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?
          >
          > Greg

          Thanos, Greg, I am happy to go into co-maintainer on this. I can look at patches
          or integrations when they come in for peer review, and can publish to web site still,
          which is simply built off of the perldoc from ASP.pm.

          Obviously not been highly engaged here, so great if others run with it!

          @Thanos, I think you had the biggest bundle of work that needed to get out there
          in terms of new db layer overhaul, so if you have any special considerations
          or interest here would love to hear it.

          Happy if some one hosts this in a reasonable open source repository, github,
          sourceforge type of gig. I guess I would be partial to something with svn offered
          and SourceForge seems to but no strong opinions here if it works and folks can
          collaborate, spin off trial forks, etc.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
            I tend to selfhost things but can put on sourceforge just as easily. I also prefer svn. I'd be glad to host it, as well as the SVN sample site if that would help. Just let me know.

            On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Josh Chamas wrote:

            > On 8/14/2011 2:40 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
            >> How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?
            >>
            >> Greg
            >>

            > Thanos, Greg, I am happy to go into co-maintainer on this. I can look at patches
            > or integrations when they come in for peer review, and can publish to web site still,
            > which is simply built off of the perldoc from ASP.pm.
            >
            > Obviously not been highly engaged here, so great if others run with it!
            >
            > @Thanos, I think you had the biggest bundle of work that needed to get out there
            > in terms of new db layer overhaul, so if you have any special considerations
            > or interest here would love to hear it.
            >
            > Happy if some one hosts this in a reasonable open source repository, github,
            > sourceforge type of gig. I guess I would be partial to something with svn offered
            > and SourceForge seems to but no strong opinions here if it works and folks can
            > collaborate, spin off trial forks, etc.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Josh
            >
            >> On Aug 14, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
            >>

            >>> I have numerous fixes for Apache::ASP including the one mentioned here.

          • Tsirkin Evgeny
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
              Nice to hear that there are others interested as well !
              I will be happy to provide any help needed .

              @Gregory I think public repository is probably better idea ,this way you will neither
              be a bottleneck .Other then that anything that you ,Thanos & Josh prefer will be fine.
              I am personally is much more comfortable with svn then git ,but git have nice branch
              features .

              Seems like the module can live in Josh's directory on CPAN and this is great.
              Thanks
              Evgeny

              On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Gregory Youngblood <greg@...> wrote:
              I tend to selfhost things but can put on sourceforge just as easily. I also prefer svn. I'd be glad to host it, as well as the SVN sample site if that would help. Just let me know.

              On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Josh Chamas wrote:

              > On 8/14/2011 2:40 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
              >> How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh or can make other arrangements. What do you think?
              >>
              >> Greg
              >>

              > Thanos, Greg, I am happy to go into co-maintainer on this.  I can look at patches
              > or integrations when they come in for peer review, and can publish to web site still,
              > which is simply built off of the perldoc from ASP.pm.
              >
              > Obviously not been highly engaged here, so great if others run with it!
              >
              > @Thanos, I think you had the biggest bundle of work that needed to get out there
              > in terms of new db layer overhaul, so if you have any special considerations
              > or interest here would love to hear it.
              >
              > Happy if some one hosts this in a reasonable open source repository, github,
              > sourceforge type of gig.  I guess I would be partial to something with svn offered
              > and SourceForge seems to but no strong opinions here if it works and folks can
              > collaborate, spin off trial forks, etc.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Josh
              >
              >> On Aug 14, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
              >>

              >>> I have numerous fixes for Apache::ASP including the one mentioned here.

            • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 15, 2011
                On 15/08/2011 09:38 πμ, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
                > Nice to hear that there are others interested as well !
                > I will be happy to provide any help needed .
                >
                > @Gregory I think public repository is probably better idea ,this way you
                > will neither
                > be a bottleneck .Other then that anything that you ,Thanos & Josh prefer
                > will be fine.
                > I am personally is much more comfortable with svn then git ,but git have
                > nice branch
                > features .

                Ok, so we're all old-school ;)
                I also prefer subversion to git mostly because I'm still figuring git out.
                Let's set up a sourceforge project and be done with it (?)
                I wouldn't mind github too.
                I think I can start posting rudimentary stuff to the list for
                comments/inclusion on Wednesday or Thursday when I'll be back from holidays.

                > Seems like the module can live in Josh's directory on CPAN and this is
                > great.
                > Thanks
                > Evgeny
                >
                > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Gregory Youngblood <greg@...
                > <mailto:greg@...>> wrote:
                >
                > I tend to selfhost things but can put on sourceforge just as easily.
                > I also prefer svn. I'd be glad to host it, as well as the SVN sample
                > site if that would help. Just let me know.
                >
                > On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Josh Chamas wrote:
                >
                > > On 8/14/2011 2:40 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
                > >> How about creating a patch and sending it to the list. For the
                > short term it lets the fixes get out. Perhaps we'll hear from Josh
                > or can make other arrangements. What do you think?
                > >>
                > >> Greg
                > >>

                > > Thanos, Greg, I am happy to go into co-maintainer on this. I can
                > look at patches
                > > or integrations when they come in for peer review, and can
                > publish to web site still,
                > > which is simply built off of the perldoc from ASP.pm.
                > >
                > > Obviously not been highly engaged here, so great if others run
                > with it!
                > >
                > > @Thanos, I think you had the biggest bundle of work that needed
                > to get out there
                > > in terms of new db layer overhaul, so if you have any special
                > considerations
                > > or interest here would love to hear it.
                > >
                > > Happy if some one hosts this in a reasonable open source
                > repository, github,
                > > sourceforge type of gig. I guess I would be partial to something
                > with svn offered
                > > and SourceForge seems to but no strong opinions here if it works
                > and folks can
                > > collaborate, spin off trial forks, etc.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Josh

                > mentioned here.

              • Gregory Youngblood
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15, 2011
                  Hah. I've used git before. It's good, merging and branching are really good as long as you get all the details right. To really use it effectively though I ended up creating a cookbook file of sorts with recipes for many of the more interesting uses. There were seemingly simple things that could have many unexpected consequences, such as forgetting one cli arg and your merge goes in as individual commits instead of as a single transaction. Have fun rolling that back if you need to. :)

                  I'm setting up Apache-ASP in SF. I'm using SVN for the rcs.

                  Josh, would you be open to providing an svn dump so we can maintain historical log on the check ins (assuming I can get that imported into SF).

                  Thanks
                  Greg

                • Gregory Youngblood
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 15, 2011
                    Apache-ASP initial setup on source forge done. Still have some project pages and content to fill in, I'll work on that over the next couple of days. Also need the code. I can import the revisions in CPAN, but I'd rather get a full svnadmin dump so I can hopefully maintain the history in the migration to sf.

                    Do you have sf user accounts? If so, please send me (private email probably better) your sourceforge usernames.

                    Thanks
                    Greg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 15, 2011

                      Hi folks,

                      just wanted to raise my hand, as I am still using apache::asp in some middle size projects to and would love to keep it

                      using in the future if the necessary changes will be made. I have been already injecting a minor change that has been

                      included by Josh in one of the last releases and would also be willing to work with others on the project, if possible.

                      In the past I came across some problems with UTF8 and FormFill when it comes to german "Umlaute" for which I had to

                      find a solution on my own.

                      So lets try to keep it running :)

                       Uwe Riehm

                    • xenu@poczta.onet.pl
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
                        Hello!

                        Is fork of Apache::ASP dead? Greg hasn't replied to my email. Maybe someone else should start project?

                        Regards

                      • Gregory Youngblood
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
                          I'm pretty sure I replied. I'll try to find the message and resend it. if not I apologize. Work has taken all of my time while we are preparing for a production launch of a large project. I'm sure most can understand how that can have an impact on time to work on other things.

                          Thanks
                          Greg

                          On Oct 1, 2011, at 6:32 AM, xenu@... wrote:

                          > Hello!
                          >
                          > Is fork of Apache::ASP dead? Greg hasn't replied to my email. Maybe someone else should start project?
                          >
                          > Regards

                        • Gregory Youngblood
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
                            I found the email, and I had not replied. My apologies, I did think I had replied. What I had done is mark it to follow up when I circled back around and got caught up on things (see previous email).

                            I also noticed you sent it barely 2 days ago. You know, sometimes people are not able reply right away for any number of reasons. A little patience can go a long way.