Re: Capture sessionID in browser from perl script

  • Sudarshan Soma
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
      Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:

      My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
      redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
      browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
      sessionId set and request for main page.

      Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
      redirect URLs.

      I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
      Please advice

      Thanks and Best Regards,
      Pavan

      My code till now is:

      $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
      if(! $ua) {
      return 0;
      }

      $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
      $requestString = "http://x.y.z.w?Username=abc&Password=abc";
      $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString;
      $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
      $resp = $result->content;
      print "$resp";

      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...> wrote:
      > O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
      >>
      >> Hi All,
      >> I have a requirement to test webserver using perl scripts. The
      >> webserver creates a sessionId after successfull authentication. Hence
      >> for futher requests to the webserver, i need to send the sessionId
      >> which is set in the browser/client . Can anyone please let me know how
      >> can i do this.
      >>
      >> Myperl script is something like this:
      >>
      >> $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w"
      >> $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $requestString);
      >> $request->authorization_basic($userid, $passwd);
      >> $request->push_header(Cookie => "SESSIONID=?????; path=/;"); ------>
      >> capture session id from browser
      >>

      > rather:
      > ---8<---
      > use HTTP::Cookies;
      > use HTTP::Request::Common;
      > use LWP::UserAgent;
      >
      > $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
      > $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w";
      > $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
      > $result = $ua->request(HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString));
      > $ua->cookie_jar->extract_cookies($res);
      > #session id is now in the cookie jar. ``perldoc HTTP::Cookies''
      > #to read it
      > $anotherURI = "http://x.y.x.w/whatever";
      > $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
      > #automatically add the cookies (including the session-id) to this request..
      > $ua->cookie_jar->add_cookie_header($requestObject);
      > $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
      >
      > ---8<---
      >

      >> Best Regards,
      >> Pavan

    • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
        O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
        > Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:
        >
        > My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
        > redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
        > browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
        > sessionId set and request for main page.
        >
        > Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
        > redirect URLs.
        >
        > I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
        > Please advice

        You really need to familiarize yourself with perldoc (or google for that
        matter ;)

        To the matter at hand: redirects should work quite as expected. If they
        do not, then they're probably not HTTP 3xx (see
        http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) and perhaps
        you'll have to resort to some fancy regex (perldoc perlre) to go to the
        correct URI.
        For HTTP, see ``$ua->max_redirect'' and ``$ua->requests_redirectable''
        in ``perldoc LWP::UserAgent''. Also take a look in the libwww-perl
        cookbook ``perldoc lwpcook''.
        Someone's bound to have already done what you need.

      • Sudarshan Soma
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8, 2009
          2009/4/3 Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
          > O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
          >>
          >> Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:
          >>
          >> My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
          >> redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
          >> browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
          >> sessionId set and request for main page.
          >>
          >> Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
          >> redirect URLs.
          >>
          >> I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
          >> Please advice
          >>

          > You really need to familiarize yourself with perldoc (or google for that
          > matter ;)
          >
          > To the matter at hand: redirects should work quite as expected. If they do
          > not, then they're probably not HTTP 3xx (see
          > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) and perhaps you'll
          > have to resort to some fancy regex (perldoc perlre) to go to the correct
          > URI.
          > For HTTP, see ``$ua->max_redirect'' and ``$ua->requests_redirectable'' in
          > ``perldoc LWP::UserAgent''. Also take a look in the libwww-perl cookbook
          > ``perldoc lwpcook''.
          > Someone's bound to have already done what you need.
          >>
          >> Thanks and Best Regards,
          >> Pavan
          >>
          >> My code till now is:
          >>
          >> $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
          >> if(! $ua) {
          >> return 0;
          >> }
          >>
          >> $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
          >> $requestString = "http://x.y.z.w?Username=abc&Password=abc";
          >> $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString;
          >> $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
          >> $resp = $result->content;
          >> print "$resp";
          >>

          >> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>
          >> wrote:
          >>

          >>> O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:

          >>> rather:
          >>> ---8<---
          >>> use HTTP::Cookies;
          >>> use HTTP::Request::Common;
          >>> use LWP::UserAgent;
          >>>
          >>> $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
          >>> $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w";
          >>> $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
          >>> $result = $ua->request(HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString));
          >>> $ua->cookie_jar->extract_cookies($res);
          >>> #session id is now in the cookie jar. ``perldoc HTTP::Cookies''
          >>> #to read it
          >>> $anotherURI = "http://x.y.x.w/whatever";
          >>> $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
          >>> #automatically add the cookies (including the session-id) to this
          >>> request..
          >>> $ua->cookie_jar->add_cookie_header($requestObject);
          >>> $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
          >>>
          >>> ---8<---

          Thanks a lot. I got the final code now

          use warnings;

          use HTTP::Cookies;
          use HTTP::Request::Common;
          use LWP::UserAgent;

          {
          $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
          if(! $ua) {
          print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
          return 0;
          }

          my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
          $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
          # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further
          reqs. useragent should be newer
          push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
          $result = $ua->request(POST "http://x.y.z.p",
          {
          Username =>'xxx',
          Password =>'xxx',
          Submit =>'Submit'
          });
          $resp = $result->content;

          $anotherURI = "http://x.y.z.p/gd";

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
            O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
            > Thanks a lot. I got the final code now
            >
            > use warnings;

            Since this is a mod_perl list, you might want to consider ``use
            strict;'' as well (actually you might consider using strict anyhow)
            > use HTTP::Cookies;
            > use HTTP::Request::Common;
            > use LWP::UserAgent;
            >
            > {
            > $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
            > if(! $ua) {
            > print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
            > return 0;
            > }

            I've never had an LWP::UserAgent fail on me at this step, however...
            > my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
            > $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
            > # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further
            > reqs. useragent should be newer
            > push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
            > $result = $ua->request(POST "http://x.y.z.p",
            > {
            > Username =>'xxx',
            > Password =>'xxx',
            > Submit =>'Submit'
            > });

            ..if really want to check for failures, maybe fold all the rest in an
            ``if ($result->is_success)'' block.
            > $resp = $result->content;
            >
            > $anotherURI = "http://x.y.z.p/gd";
            > $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
            > $result = $ua->request($requestObject);

            same here
            > $resp = $result->content;

            in all, there are numerous things that might go wrong through the
            process (e.g. perhaps you didn't really log in successfully), but maybe
            this is a throw-away run once script, so if it works for you...

          • aura networks
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
              http://www.nabble.com/file/p24106268/final.pl final.pl
              Here i am not getting the Session-id / cookie-value from the browser, just i
              am getting the below output:
              Output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)

              Please suggest me how to capture the session-id from the opened site(in the
              script)

              Thanks,
              Lakshmi Sreekanth
            • aura networks
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
                My Perl code:

                #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                use HTTP::Cookies;
                use HTTP::Request::Common;
                use LWP::UserAgent;

                $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
                if(! $ua)
                {
                print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
                return 0;
                }

                my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
                $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
                # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further reqs.
                useragent should be newer
                push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
                $result = $ua->request(POST " http://erail.in http://erail.in ");
                print $result;
                ______________
                Through this program i am not able to capture the Session id/cookie value
                from the opened site(in the script)
                I am getting this output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
                  Hi,
                  The cookies would be stored in the cookie store mentioned, cookies.dat.
                  You can aswell check errors for every call. In mycase if need not
                  check the sessionid, but just pass the obtained sessionid embedded in
                  the further web requests

                  let me know what u find

                  thanks
                  pavan

                  On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM, aura networks<laki.sreekanth@...> wrote:

                  > My Perl code:
                  >
                  > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                  >
                  > use HTTP::Cookies;
                  > use HTTP::Request::Common;
                  > use LWP::UserAgent;
                  >
                  > $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
                  > if(! $ua)
                  > {
                  > print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
                  > return 0;
                  > }
                  >
                  > my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
                  > $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
                  > # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further reqs.
                  > useragent should be newer
                  > push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
                  > $result = $ua->request(POST " http://erail.in http://erail.in ");
                  > print $result;
                  > ______________
                  > Through this program i am not able to capture the Session id/cookie value
                  > from the opened site(in the script)
                  > I am getting this output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)
                  >
                  > Please suggest me how to capture the session-id....
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Lakshmi Sreekanth
                  > --
                • aura networks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
                    Contents in cookies.dat file: #LWP-Cookies-1.0
                    Output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xafebd0)

                    Tell me the way to get session-id pls pls...