Re: Capture sessionID in browser from perl script

  • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
      O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
      > Hi All,
      > I have a requirement to test webserver using perl scripts. The
      > webserver creates a sessionId after successfull authentication. Hence
      > for futher requests to the webserver, i need to send the sessionId
      > which is set in the browser/client . Can anyone please let me know how
      > can i do this.
      >
      > Myperl script is something like this:
      >
      > $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w"
      > $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $requestString);
      > $request->authorization_basic($userid, $passwd);
      > $request->push_header(Cookie => "SESSIONID=?????; path=/;"); ------>
      > capture session id from browser

      rather:
      ---8<---
      use HTTP::Cookies;
      use HTTP::Request::Common;
      use LWP::UserAgent;

      $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
      $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w";
      $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
      $result = $ua->request(HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString));
      $ua->cookie_jar->extract_cookies($res);
      #session id is now in the cookie jar. ``perldoc HTTP::Cookies''
      #to read it
      $anotherURI = "http://x.y.x.w/whatever";
      $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
      #automatically add the cookies (including the session-id) to this request..
      $ua->cookie_jar->add_cookie_header($requestObject);
      $result = $ua->request($requestObject);

      ---8<---

      > Best Regards,
      > Pavan

    • Sudarshan Soma
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
        Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:

        My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
        redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
        browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
        sessionId set and request for main page.

        Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
        redirect URLs.

        I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
        Please advice

        Thanks and Best Regards,
        Pavan

        My code till now is:

        $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
        if(! $ua) {
        return 0;
        }

        $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
        $requestString = "http://x.y.z.w?Username=abc&Password=abc";
        $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString;
        $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
        $resp = $result->content;
        print "$resp";

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...> wrote:
        > O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
        >>
        >> Hi All,
        >> I have a requirement to test webserver using perl scripts. The
        >> webserver creates a sessionId after successfull authentication. Hence
        >> for futher requests to the webserver, i need to send the sessionId
        >> which is set in the browser/client . Can anyone please let me know how
        >> can i do this.
        >>
        >> Myperl script is something like this:
        >>
        >> $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w"
        >> $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $requestString);
        >> $request->authorization_basic($userid, $passwd);
        >> $request->push_header(Cookie => "SESSIONID=?????; path=/;"); ------>
        >> capture session id from browser
        >>

        > rather:
        > ---8<---
        > use HTTP::Cookies;
        > use HTTP::Request::Common;
        > use LWP::UserAgent;
        >
        > $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
        > $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w";
        > $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
        > $result = $ua->request(HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString));
        > $ua->cookie_jar->extract_cookies($res);
        > #session id is now in the cookie jar. ``perldoc HTTP::Cookies''
        > #to read it
        > $anotherURI = "http://x.y.x.w/whatever";
        > $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
        > #automatically add the cookies (including the session-id) to this request..
        > $ua->cookie_jar->add_cookie_header($requestObject);
        > $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
        >
        > ---8<---
        >

        >> Best Regards,
        >> Pavan

      • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
          O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
          > Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:
          >
          > My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
          > redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
          > browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
          > sessionId set and request for main page.
          >
          > Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
          > redirect URLs.
          >
          > I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
          > Please advice

          You really need to familiarize yourself with perldoc (or google for that
          matter ;)

          To the matter at hand: redirects should work quite as expected. If they
          do not, then they're probably not HTTP 3xx (see
          http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) and perhaps
          you'll have to resort to some fancy regex (perldoc perlre) to go to the
          correct URI.
          For HTTP, see ``$ua->max_redirect'' and ``$ua->requests_redirectable''
          in ``perldoc LWP::UserAgent''. Also take a look in the libwww-perl
          cookbook ``perldoc lwpcook''.
          Someone's bound to have already done what you need.

        • Sudarshan Soma
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8, 2009
            2009/4/3 Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>:
            > O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
            >>
            >> Thanks a lot . I have a followup query, can anyone please advice me:
            >>
            >> My application (webser) will set up sessionId in the cookie and sets
            >> redirect URL to main page(if login is successfull). In case of
            >> browser, this works fine with redirect thread reaches server with the
            >> sessionId set and request for main page.
            >>
            >> Can anyone please let me know how, it can be made to work in perl with
            >> redirect URLs.
            >>
            >> I think this is a basic query , but my intial search didnt help me.
            >> Please advice
            >>

            > You really need to familiarize yourself with perldoc (or google for that
            > matter ;)
            >
            > To the matter at hand: redirects should work quite as expected. If they do
            > not, then they're probably not HTTP 3xx (see
            > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) and perhaps you'll
            > have to resort to some fancy regex (perldoc perlre) to go to the correct
            > URI.
            > For HTTP, see ``$ua->max_redirect'' and ``$ua->requests_redirectable'' in
            > ``perldoc LWP::UserAgent''. Also take a look in the libwww-perl cookbook
            > ``perldoc lwpcook''.
            > Someone's bound to have already done what you need.
            >>
            >> Thanks and Best Regards,
            >> Pavan
            >>
            >> My code till now is:
            >>
            >> $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
            >> if(! $ua) {
            >> return 0;
            >> }
            >>
            >> $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
            >> $requestString = "http://x.y.z.w?Username=abc&Password=abc";
            >> $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString;
            >> $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
            >> $resp = $result->content;
            >> print "$resp";
            >>

            >> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@...>
            >> wrote:
            >>

            >>> O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:

            >>> rather:
            >>> ---8<---
            >>> use HTTP::Cookies;
            >>> use HTTP::Request::Common;
            >>> use LWP::UserAgent;
            >>>
            >>> $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
            >>> $requestString = "http://x.y.x.w";
            >>> $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
            >>> $result = $ua->request(HTTP::Request::Common::GET $requestString));
            >>> $ua->cookie_jar->extract_cookies($res);
            >>> #session id is now in the cookie jar. ``perldoc HTTP::Cookies''
            >>> #to read it
            >>> $anotherURI = "http://x.y.x.w/whatever";
            >>> $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
            >>> #automatically add the cookies (including the session-id) to this
            >>> request..
            >>> $ua->cookie_jar->add_cookie_header($requestObject);
            >>> $result = $ua->request($requestObject);
            >>>
            >>> ---8<---

            Thanks a lot. I got the final code now

            use warnings;

            use HTTP::Cookies;
            use HTTP::Request::Common;
            use LWP::UserAgent;

            {
            $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
            if(! $ua) {
            print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
            return 0;
            }

            my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
            $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
            # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further
            reqs. useragent should be newer
            push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
            $result = $ua->request(POST "http://x.y.z.p",
            {
            Username =>'xxx',
            Password =>'xxx',
            Submit =>'Submit'
            });
            $resp = $result->content;

            $anotherURI = "http://x.y.z.p/gd";

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
              O/H Sudarshan Soma έγραψε:
              > Thanks a lot. I got the final code now
              >
              > use warnings;

              Since this is a mod_perl list, you might want to consider ``use
              strict;'' as well (actually you might consider using strict anyhow)
              > use HTTP::Cookies;
              > use HTTP::Request::Common;
              > use LWP::UserAgent;
              >
              > {
              > $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
              > if(! $ua) {
              > print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
              > return 0;
              > }

              I've never had an LWP::UserAgent fail on me at this step, however...
              > my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
              > $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
              > # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further
              > reqs. useragent should be newer
              > push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
              > $result = $ua->request(POST "http://x.y.z.p",
              > {
              > Username =>'xxx',
              > Password =>'xxx',
              > Submit =>'Submit'
              > });

              ..if really want to check for failures, maybe fold all the rest in an
              ``if ($result->is_success)'' block.
              > $resp = $result->content;
              >
              > $anotherURI = "http://x.y.z.p/gd";
              > $requestObject = HTTP::Request::Common::GET $anotherURI;
              > $result = $ua->request($requestObject);

              same here
              > $resp = $result->content;

              in all, there are numerous things that might go wrong through the
              process (e.g. perhaps you didn't really log in successfully), but maybe
              this is a throw-away run once script, so if it works for you...

            • aura networks
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
                http://www.nabble.com/file/p24106268/final.pl final.pl
                Here i am not getting the Session-id / cookie-value from the browser, just i
                am getting the below output:
                Output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)

                Please suggest me how to capture the session-id from the opened site(in the
                script)

                Thanks,
                Lakshmi Sreekanth
              • aura networks
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
                  My Perl code:

                  #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                  use HTTP::Cookies;
                  use HTTP::Request::Common;
                  use LWP::UserAgent;

                  $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
                  if(! $ua)
                  {
                  print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
                  return 0;
                  }

                  my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
                  $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
                  # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further reqs.
                  useragent should be newer
                  push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
                  $result = $ua->request(POST " http://erail.in http://erail.in ");
                  print $result;
                  ______________
                  Through this program i am not able to capture the Session id/cookie value
                  from the opened site(in the script)
                  I am getting this output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
                    Hi,
                    The cookies would be stored in the cookie store mentioned, cookies.dat.
                    You can aswell check errors for every call. In mycase if need not
                    check the sessionid, but just pass the obtained sessionid embedded in
                    the further web requests

                    let me know what u find

                    thanks
                    pavan

                    On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM, aura networks<laki.sreekanth@...> wrote:

                    > My Perl code:
                    >
                    > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                    >
                    > use HTTP::Cookies;
                    > use HTTP::Request::Common;
                    > use LWP::UserAgent;
                    >
                    > $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
                    > if(! $ua)
                    > {
                    > print "Can not get the page :UserAgent fialed \n";
                    > return 0;
                    > }
                    >
                    > my $cookies=new HTTP::Cookies(file=>'./cookies.dat',autosave=>1);
                    > $ua->cookie_jar($cookies);
                    > # push does all magic to exrtact cookies and add to header for further reqs.
                    > useragent should be newer
                    > push @{ $ua->requests_redirectable }, 'POST';
                    > $result = $ua->request(POST " http://erail.in http://erail.in ");
                    > print $result;
                    > ______________
                    > Through this program i am not able to capture the Session id/cookie value
                    > from the opened site(in the script)
                    > I am getting this output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xacc640)
                    >
                    > Please suggest me how to capture the session-id....
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Lakshmi Sreekanth
                    > --
                  • aura networks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 19, 2009
                      Contents in cookies.dat file: #LWP-Cookies-1.0
                      Output: HTTP::Response=HASH(0xafebd0)

                      Tell me the way to get session-id pls pls...