Re: Getting ASP working

  • Warren Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2008
      Tom wrote:
      > I've googled and read for days but I'm still unsure of what I'm missing,
      > I had mod-perl 1 which I have now uninstalled and am unable to install
      > mod-perl 2 via easyapache3 in WHM (errors out).

      This is the problem with these control panels which aim to make things
      "easy". It's only easy if you only want to do exactly what they've
      already provided. Once you step off their path, you end up fighting the
      control panel because they've f'd the base OS stuff up something good.

      Me, hard bitten and gun shy? Oh yeah you betcha.

      So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
      do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
      install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
      because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
      working with a sane OS.

      Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

    • Chris Nicholls
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2008
        <snip>

        > So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
        > do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
        > install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
        > because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
        > working with a sane OS.
        >
        > Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

        </snip>

        FWIW, I second this. I have had several hosting packages which used the
        Plesk control panel, which promises Apache::ASP support. Inevitably the
        Apache::ASP configuration specified in the read-only vhost.conf file
        would be wrong. For example, having PerlSetVar Global /tmp, but not
        allowing access to /tmp via FTP, so no easy way to create/edit global.asa

        While it was possible to ask the hosting provider to make manual changes
        to the vhost configuration files, these changes would get lost every
        time they upgraded the systems. Plus there was no way for me to restart
        Apache if I made a change to a Perl .pm library.

        Now have my own server and not looked back since.

        Good luck!

        -Chris