Getting ASP working

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2008
      Hi all,

      Hello to everyone. :)

      I have a WHM/cpanel server running RHEL4 and apache 2.2.

      I used to have a working ASP (using cpanels apache-asp.sea (which is now
      obsolete)) with apache 1.3 but since upgrading I can't get it working
      with 2.2.

      I can run asp-perl from shell and asp works but not in the browser.

      I've googled and read for days but I'm still unsure of what I'm missing,
      I had mod-perl 1 which I have now uninstalled and am unable to install
      mod-perl 2 via easyapache3 in WHM (errors out).

      This link http://www.apache-asp.org/cgi.html explains how to use
      Apache::ASP without mod-perl and I have tried but it only seems to be
      for apache 1.

      I'm at my wits end.

      Can someone point me in the right direction please?

      Thanks
      tom

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2008
        Tom wrote:
        > I've googled and read for days but I'm still unsure of what I'm missing,
        > I had mod-perl 1 which I have now uninstalled and am unable to install
        > mod-perl 2 via easyapache3 in WHM (errors out).

        This is the problem with these control panels which aim to make things
        "easy". It's only easy if you only want to do exactly what they've
        already provided. Once you step off their path, you end up fighting the
        control panel because they've f'd the base OS stuff up something good.

        Me, hard bitten and gun shy? Oh yeah you betcha.

        So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
        do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
        install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
        because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
        working with a sane OS.

        Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

      • Chris Nicholls
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2008
          <snip>

          > So, you can continue trying to make the thing do what it doesn't want to
          > do, or you can move web service to a plain old VPS with a default OS
          > install. Then you'll find that all the instructions start working,
          > because the instructions were written with the assumption that you're
          > working with a sane OS.
          >
          > Initially painful? Oh yes. Better in the long term? Much.

          </snip>

          FWIW, I second this. I have had several hosting packages which used the
          Plesk control panel, which promises Apache::ASP support. Inevitably the
          Apache::ASP configuration specified in the read-only vhost.conf file
          would be wrong. For example, having PerlSetVar Global /tmp, but not
          allowing access to /tmp via FTP, so no easy way to create/edit global.asa

          While it was possible to ask the hosting provider to make manual changes
          to the vhost configuration files, these changes would get lost every
          time they upgraded the systems. Plus there was no way for me to restart
          Apache if I made a change to a Perl .pm library.

          Now have my own server and not looked back since.

          Good luck!

          -Chris