Peculiar problem with CompressGzip

  • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8 6:49 AM
      Hi list,

      I have a virtual host that produces plain XML (no XSLT needed, defined
      or used).
      The resulting files are quite large, so I thought I'd save some
      bandwidth and enable CompressGzip on that specific directory.
      There was no error 500, just some garbled output. I could make out some
      ``Can't upgrade that kind of scalar'' messages in the output, but apache
      registered status 200 even for the (obviously) failed hits.

      The only configuration directive that seemed to make a difference was:
      <Directory /blah/blah/rdfs>
      PerlSetVar CompressGzip 1
      </Directory>
      Removing this resulted in the files being sent as they were supposed to.

      Best Regards,
      Thanos Chatziathanassiou

      Message 2 of 3 , May 8 6:17 PM
        Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:

        > enable CompressGzip on that specific directory.

        What happens if you use mod_deflate instead?

      • Thanos Chatziathanassiou
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9 4:03 AM
          O/H Warren Young έγραψε:
          > Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
          >>
          >> enable CompressGzip on that specific directory.
          >
          > What happens if you use mod_deflate instead?
          Interesting question, but since it's a static build, I'd have to
          recompile apache to find that out.
          I'd rather not do that right now, unless we're all out of ideas.