Apache ASP question - RedHat Linux - Plesk8.2

  • hc_andy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hi There,

      I'm new to plesk and web administration and have a simple asp question to
      ask.

      Is there a way I can test that Apache ASP is working properly on our install
      of Plesk 8.2 under Redhat Linux?

      Platform: psa8.2.0/RedHatel3
      perl-Apache-ASP: 2.57-rhel3.build82070706.15

      This is the line about asp in the /conf/httpd.include file for the domain
      I'm testing with.

      <Files ~ (\.asp$)>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP
      PerlSetVar Global /tmp
      </Files>

      I've created a sample "test.asp" (code below) but when I bring it up it on
      Internet Explorer I get "The page cannot be displayed" message (on Firefox
      it just returns a blank page). To get plesk/apache to display .asp pages, do
      I have to enable something somewhere - if so where is this done on
      plesk/apache?

      test.asp

      <%
      $Response->Write("Hello, world!");
      %>

      Thanks.

      Andy

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2007
        hc_andy wrote:

        > I've created a sample "test.asp" (code below)

        Where did you put it? What are the permissions on the file? What
        happens if you copy it to test.html and replace the Write() call with
        plain old static text?

        > To get plesk/apache to display .asp pages, do
        > I have to enable something somewhere

        Plesk being Plesk, it should just work once you've installed the module.

        If it doesn't, it can be a mess to find out why not, because Plesk likes
        to create alternate copies of configuration files in odd locations which
        it uses instead of the standard copy, which it leaves in place just to
        confuse you. The only solution to this is to stop using Plesk and go
        old school. (I am speaking as one who is strongly considering changing
        hosting providers for this very reason.)

        > <%
        > $Response->Write("Hello, world!");
        > %>

        The syntax of your test file is fine. The problem lies elsewhere.

      • hc_andy
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2007
          I have placed test.asp in the httpdocs folder with file permissions set to
          755. HTML and PHP files are loading without any problems from inside this
          folder.

          I've posted on the swsoft forum but have had no response. I can see that the
          apache asp module "appears" to be installed because the option to
          enable/disable apache asp support is on the Plesk Control Panel.

          Just wondering where to look, how to test and whether apache asp has been
          correctly installed by plesk.