Re: Can't locate object method "request" via package "Apache"

  • Helmut Zeilinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11 5:41 AM
      Hi Tim,

      (like i postet Tidal 2 months ago on this list)

      you might try a patch from Maurice Yarrow:

      see

      http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/asp/89060?search_string=yarrow;#89060

      (approx. bottom quarter of the page)

      Helmut

      T R Stickland schrieb:
      > [First a quick hello. We (http://edina.ac.uk/) have been using
      > Apache::ASP for a few years, but you haven't heard much from us as
      > it's worked pretty well!]
      >
      > For the first time I've built apache2 (apache 2.2.4, mod_perl 2.0.3)
      > for use with ASP (2.59). The build and configuration went fine.
      > The web server started up and was fine until the first time I tried to
      > access an ASP application.
      >
      > Can't locate object method "request" via package "Apache" at
      > [...]/perl5/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0//Apache/ASP.pm line 165.
      >
      > ...and that line is...
      >
      > my $rtest = $ModPerl2 ? Apache2::RequestUtil->request() :
      > Apache->request();
      >
      > It's calling Apache->request when should be calling
      > Apache2::RequestUtil->request (it's mod_perl version 2.0.3). So
      > it's the $ModPerl2 flag. Line 66 of ASP.pm initialized it:
      >
      > $ModPerl2 = ($mod_perl::VERSION >= 1.99);
      >
      > Now it turns out $mod_perl::VERSION is 1.30. There's an easy
      > workaround using $ENV{MOD_PERL_API_VERSION}
      >
      > $ModPerl2 = ($ENV{MOD_PERL_API_VERSION} >= 2);
      >
      > I see this has occurred before, though the error reported was
      > different, and also in that case $mod_perl::VERSION was undefined
      > rather than having the wrong value. See:
      >
      > On one hand the workaround is OK, and I'm not keen to guddle about in
      > the mod_perl code. On the other hand, I'm not really happy just
      > ignoring the fact that $mod_perl::VERSION is wrong...
      >
      > Anyone know the cause and/or better fix?
      > tim

    • T R Stickland
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11 5:59 AM
        Thanks Helmut.

        My patch is similar to Maurice's, except that his allows for
        $mod_perl::VERSION to be an empty string. In my case it has been
        assigned the value "1.30". Maurice's patch would just use this
        value. So in my case I ignore $mod_perl::VERSION altogether and use
        $ENV{MOD_PERL_API_VERSION}.

        Maybe worth noting that, I think, $ENV{MOD_PERL_API_VERSION} is the API
        version rather than the mod_perl version? So I'd expect to see a value
        "2" rather than 2.0.3 or whatever. That means it's not strictly
        interchangeable with $mod_perl::VERSION, but the distinction is pretty
        much immaterial to Maurice's and my own patch, at least at the moment.

        tim

        --
        Dr Tim Stickland
        EDINA (http://edina.ac.uk/)

      • Andrew Koebrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12 1:08 PM
          Howdy,

          I am attempting to access the session object from another program, not
          running under Apache::ASP. I recall seeing the syntax to do this on
          http://www.apache-asp.org at some point but now can't find it.

          Basically, I was to get the session user name so that I can use it to
          pre-authenticate folks when they move between my applications and a
          forum software package (Mwforum) I am attempting to integrate.

          Any pointers?

          Andrew Koebrick
          Systems Administrator / Librarian
          Minnesota Department of Administration. Office of Geographic and
          Demographic Analysis
          658 Cedar St.
          St. Paul, MN 55101

          651-201-2465