Re: apache::asp maintenance

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
      Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

      > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
      > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
      >
      > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
      > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
      > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
      > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
      > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
      >

      > Good to know .
      > Thanks.

      Thanks Warren.

      I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
      does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
      release. If you have other needs please let me know.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9 1:05 AM
        Those are great news!
        Thanks Josh.
        Evgeny

        On 6/25/07, Joshua Chamas <josh@...> wrote:
        > Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
        > >

        > > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
        > > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
        > >
        > > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
        > > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
        > > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
        > > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
        > > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
        > >

        > > Good to know .
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > Thanks Warren.
        >
        > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
        > does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
        > release. If you have other needs please let me know.
        >
        > Josh

      • Warren Young
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 12:26 PM
          Joshua Chamas wrote:
          > If you have other needs please let me know.

          Well, for inertia reasons, we're still maintaining a lot of CentOS 3 and
          Red Hat Linux 9 type systems, with mod_perls of 1.99_07 and _09 vintage,
          which was before the big Apache2:: namespace reorg. As a result, when
          installing Apache::ASP, I have to manually edit ApacheCommon.pm to
          remove all the '2's. Also, the Apache2::ServerRec module doesn't exist
          on these systems, so I have to comment it out. Apache::ASP then works
          just fine.

          It would be spiffy if the library detected this situation and coped
          automatically.

          I tested this, and it works here:

          eval {
          # Try new Apache2 module requests first
          require Apache2::RequestRec;
          require Apache2::RequestUtil;
          require Apache2::RequestIO;
          require Apache2::Response;
          require APR::Table;
          require APR::Pool;
          require Apache2::Connection;
          require Apache2::ServerUtil;
          require Apache2::ServerRec;
          require Apache2::SubRequest;
          require Apache2::Log;
          };
          eval {
          # Alternative if above fails because system is old, but not
          # so old that it's incompatible.
          require Apache::RequestRec;
          require Apache::RequestUtil;
          require Apache::RequestIO;
          require Apache::Response;
          require APR::Table;
          require APR::Pool;
          require Apache::Connection;
          require Apache::ServerUtil;
          require Apache::SubRequest;
          require Apache::Log;
          } if defined $@;

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
            Joshua Chamas wrote:

            > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks

            Did you mean to type "months"? >:)