Re: apache::asp maintenance

  • Tsirkin Evgeny
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
      On 6/19/07, Warren Young <warren@...> wrote:
      On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
      we need someone to step in and take over.  I think there are enough
      people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
      development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
      irrelevant just yet.  It still works, and it's still useful as it is.

      Good to know .
      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
        Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

        > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
        > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
        >
        > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
        > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
        > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
        > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
        > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
        >

        > Good to know .
        > Thanks.

        Thanks Warren.

        I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
        does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
        release. If you have other needs please let me know.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
          Those are great news!
          Thanks Josh.
          Evgeny

          On 6/25/07, Joshua Chamas <josh@...> wrote:
          > Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
          > >

          > > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
          > > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
          > >
          > > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
          > > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
          > > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
          > > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
          > > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
          > >

          > > Good to know .
          > > Thanks.
          > >

          > Thanks Warren.
          >
          > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
          > does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
          > release. If you have other needs please let me know.
          >
          > Josh

        • Warren Young
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
            Joshua Chamas wrote:
            > If you have other needs please let me know.

            Well, for inertia reasons, we're still maintaining a lot of CentOS 3 and
            Red Hat Linux 9 type systems, with mod_perls of 1.99_07 and _09 vintage,
            which was before the big Apache2:: namespace reorg. As a result, when
            installing Apache::ASP, I have to manually edit ApacheCommon.pm to
            remove all the '2's. Also, the Apache2::ServerRec module doesn't exist
            on these systems, so I have to comment it out. Apache::ASP then works
            just fine.

            It would be spiffy if the library detected this situation and coped
            automatically.

            I tested this, and it works here:

            eval {
            # Try new Apache2 module requests first
            require Apache2::RequestRec;
            require Apache2::RequestUtil;
            require Apache2::RequestIO;
            require Apache2::Response;
            require APR::Table;
            require APR::Pool;
            require Apache2::Connection;
            require Apache2::ServerUtil;
            require Apache2::ServerRec;
            require Apache2::SubRequest;
            require Apache2::Log;
            };
            eval {
            # Alternative if above fails because system is old, but not
            # so old that it's incompatible.
            require Apache::RequestRec;
            require Apache::RequestUtil;
            require Apache::RequestIO;
            require Apache::Response;
            require APR::Table;
            require APR::Pool;
            require Apache::Connection;
            require Apache::ServerUtil;
            require Apache::SubRequest;
            require Apache::Log;
            } if defined $@;

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
              Joshua Chamas wrote:

              > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks

              Did you mean to type "months"? >:)