Re: apache::asp maintenance

  • Warren Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2007
      Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
      > I was interested to know what is the apache::asp maintenance status?
      > Is it still maintained?Is it dead?
      > I have some applications here written in apache::asp and killing it ,for
      > now ,is not
      > an option.So ,are there people, except me, that are interested in the
      > module?Are there
      > people out there using this and maintaining it?

      Well, on the one hand, the last update to the library was over two years
      ago, and the last post by its primary author was nearly a year and a
      half ago.

      On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
      we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
      people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
      development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
      irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.

    • Tsirkin Evgeny
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
        On 6/19/07, Warren Young <warren@...> wrote:
        On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
        we need someone to step in and take over.  I think there are enough
        people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
        development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
        irrelevant just yet.  It still works, and it's still useful as it is.

        Good to know .
        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2007
          Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

          > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
          > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
          >
          > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
          > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
          > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
          > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
          > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
          >

          > Good to know .
          > Thanks.

          Thanks Warren.

          I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
          does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
          release. If you have other needs please let me know.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
            Those are great news!
            Thanks Josh.
            Evgeny

            On 6/25/07, Joshua Chamas <josh@...> wrote:
            > Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
            > >

            > > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
            > > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
            > >
            > > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
            > > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
            > > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
            > > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
            > > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
            > >

            > > Good to know .
            > > Thanks.
            > >

            > Thanks Warren.
            >
            > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
            > does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
            > release. If you have other needs please let me know.
            >
            > Josh

          • Warren Young
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
              Joshua Chamas wrote:
              > If you have other needs please let me know.

              Well, for inertia reasons, we're still maintaining a lot of CentOS 3 and
              Red Hat Linux 9 type systems, with mod_perls of 1.99_07 and _09 vintage,
              which was before the big Apache2:: namespace reorg. As a result, when
              installing Apache::ASP, I have to manually edit ApacheCommon.pm to
              remove all the '2's. Also, the Apache2::ServerRec module doesn't exist
              on these systems, so I have to comment it out. Apache::ASP then works
              just fine.

              It would be spiffy if the library detected this situation and coped
              automatically.

              I tested this, and it works here:

              eval {
              # Try new Apache2 module requests first
              require Apache2::RequestRec;
              require Apache2::RequestUtil;
              require Apache2::RequestIO;
              require Apache2::Response;
              require APR::Table;
              require APR::Pool;
              require Apache2::Connection;
              require Apache2::ServerUtil;
              require Apache2::ServerRec;
              require Apache2::SubRequest;
              require Apache2::Log;
              };
              eval {
              # Alternative if above fails because system is old, but not
              # so old that it's incompatible.
              require Apache::RequestRec;
              require Apache::RequestUtil;
              require Apache::RequestIO;
              require Apache::Response;
              require APR::Table;
              require APR::Pool;
              require Apache::Connection;
              require Apache::ServerUtil;
              require Apache::SubRequest;
              require Apache::Log;
              } if defined $@;

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17 4:43 AM
                Joshua Chamas wrote:

                > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks

                Did you mean to type "months"? >:)