apache::asp maintenance

  • Tsirkin Evgeny
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18 2:16 AM
      Hi list!
      I was interested to know what is the apache::asp  maintenance status?
      Is it still maintained?Is it dead?
      I have some applications here written in apache::asp and killing it ,for now ,is not
      an option.So ,are there people, except me, that are interested in the module?Are there
      people out there using this and maintaining it?
      Evgeny

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18 8:20 PM
        Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
        > I was interested to know what is the apache::asp maintenance status?
        > Is it still maintained?Is it dead?
        > I have some applications here written in apache::asp and killing it ,for
        > now ,is not
        > an option.So ,are there people, except me, that are interested in the
        > module?Are there
        > people out there using this and maintaining it?

        Well, on the one hand, the last update to the library was over two years
        ago, and the last post by its primary author was nearly a year and a
        half ago.

        On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
        we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
        people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
        development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
        irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.

      • Tsirkin Evgeny
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19 12:54 AM
          On 6/19/07, Warren Young <warren@...> wrote:
          On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
          we need someone to step in and take over.  I think there are enough
          people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
          development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
          irrelevant just yet.  It still works, and it's still useful as it is.

          Good to know .
          Thanks.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24 5:23 PM
            Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

            > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
            > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
            >
            > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
            > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
            > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
            > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
            > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
            >

            > Good to know .
            > Thanks.

            Thanks Warren.

            I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
            does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
            release. If you have other needs please let me know.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
              Those are great news!
              Thanks Josh.
              Evgeny

              On 6/25/07, Joshua Chamas <josh@...> wrote:
              > Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
              > >

              > > On 6/19/07, *Warren Young* <warren@...
              > > <mailto:warren@...>> wrote:
              > >
              > > On the other hand, I'm not aware of anything so badly wrong with it that
              > > we need someone to step in and take over. I think there are enough
              > > people using the library that it'd be valuable to see some new
              > > development, but I don't think the library is in danger of becoming
              > > irrelevant just yet. It still works, and it's still useful as it is.
              > >

              > > Good to know .
              > > Thanks.
              > >

              > Thanks Warren.
              >
              > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks as the software
              > does need updating, in particular for it to work well with the latest mod_perl 2
              > release. If you have other needs please let me know.
              >
              > Josh

            • Warren Young
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
                Joshua Chamas wrote:
                > If you have other needs please let me know.

                Well, for inertia reasons, we're still maintaining a lot of CentOS 3 and
                Red Hat Linux 9 type systems, with mod_perls of 1.99_07 and _09 vintage,
                which was before the big Apache2:: namespace reorg. As a result, when
                installing Apache::ASP, I have to manually edit ApacheCommon.pm to
                remove all the '2's. Also, the Apache2::ServerRec module doesn't exist
                on these systems, so I have to comment it out. Apache::ASP then works
                just fine.

                It would be spiffy if the library detected this situation and coped
                automatically.

                I tested this, and it works here:

                eval {
                # Try new Apache2 module requests first
                require Apache2::RequestRec;
                require Apache2::RequestUtil;
                require Apache2::RequestIO;
                require Apache2::Response;
                require APR::Table;
                require APR::Pool;
                require Apache2::Connection;
                require Apache2::ServerUtil;
                require Apache2::ServerRec;
                require Apache2::SubRequest;
                require Apache2::Log;
                };
                eval {
                # Alternative if above fails because system is old, but not
                # so old that it's incompatible.
                require Apache::RequestRec;
                require Apache::RequestUtil;
                require Apache::RequestIO;
                require Apache::Response;
                require APR::Table;
                require APR::Pool;
                require Apache::Connection;
                require Apache::ServerUtil;
                require Apache::SubRequest;
                require Apache::Log;
                } if defined $@;

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
                  Joshua Chamas wrote:

                  > I plan to push another release in the next couple of weeks

                  Did you mean to type "months"? >:)