Global not always global?

  • D. L. Fox
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2006
      I am moving my site to a new host. Although I thought I had it
      originally setup in a portable fashion, I have had to make changes in my
      code to allow for a different environment. One problem I have had is this:

      At the top of global.asa (not inside any subs) I have the line:

      our ($base_url, $Form); # running on perl 5.8.5

      inside the Script_OnStart event I have:

      $base_url = 'http://url/to/site';

      Correct me if I'm wrong: This scalar should be global to all the scripts
      on my site, yes?

      I only have one StateDir and Global directory. I'm not trying to run
      more than one ASP application, or share anything. Just one website
      running with one global.asa, etc. It is still working fine on my old
      host this way.

      As soon as I try to use $base_url in another script, I get the following
      error:

      error including default.inc, not compiled: maybe use strict error:
      Variable "$base_url" is not imported at /home/xxxxxx/asp/default.inc
      line 22. , /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/Apache/ASP.pm line 1521

      In .htaccess I have StatINC set to 1 until I can get all the bugs worked
      out. Does that have any affect on this?

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2006
        D. L. Fox wrote:
        > In .htaccess I have...

        This is the only thing that stands out for me. I wouldn't expect things
        like globals to work if you don't set up Apache::ASP in the main
        httpd.conf file, or some file it directly includes. Per-directory
        configuration should only be used for overrides, not global behavior.