asp host

  • D. L. Fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006
      howdy, all. I was on this list for quite some time a while back, but
      then signed off the net for a bit. Didn't hardly even touch a computer.
      (Can you say "withdrawal"??) Recently made my way back on and have
      rejoined this list.

      Does anyone have a list of web hosts that support Apache::ASP? I keep
      sifting through stuff I get from searches, but it's extremely time
      consuming trying to figure out which ones are supporting Apache::ASP, as
      opposed to MS or ChiliSoft. I've tried internet searches and host site
      searches. I've tried using "Apache::ASP" as a term but that usually
      brings me back to the Apache::ASP website. :) Oh, and I've looked
      through the few listed on the Apache::ASP website. Just thought there
      might be more of a choice now.

      My current host supports it but I'm not completely happy with them.
      Nothing major - I'll stay with them if I can't find an alternative.

      Four days ago I signed up for an account with another host that
      advertises supporting Apache::ASP, but the Apache::ASP is not working. I
      think their tech support is still running around in circles trying to
      figure it out - even after four days. I say "think" because they've only
      bothered to contact me four or five times with a "We're still working on
      it!" type message. It took them less seconds to charge my credit card
      than it has days to get my account setup. I will have to ask for my
      money back.

    • Warren Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2006
        D. L. Fox wrote:

        > Does anyone have a list of web hosts that support Apache::ASP?

        You're narrowing your scope unnecessarily here. Unlike with the _other_
        ASP, it isn't the case that Apache::ASP is either supported or it isn't.
        It would be nice if it were preinstalled and configured, but that
        isn't necessary. What you really must have are: 1) Apache; 2)
        permission to modify httpd.conf; 3) mod_perl; and 4) the ability to get
        arbitrary CPAN modules installed. There are a whole lot of web hosts
        that fit that criteria.

        There are a few web hosts that let you do all that without root access
        to the server, but I wouldn't recommend them. You often have to involve
        their tech support droids to get things set up, and that usually results
        in too much hassle, as you've found out. I imagine you're not in the
        market for a dedicated server. Therefore, I would recommend any of the
        VPS sort of web hosts: ones that give you root access to a virtual
        machine so you can run CPAN yourself.

        I've just been through this myself, so I can give you a few tips in
        selecting a provider:

        1. Be sure to check versions of everything. I briefly tried setting up
        Apache::ASP at one hosting provider that was still using Red Hat Linux
        7.3! You probably have no idea how hard it is to get modern software to
        build on something that old. Since new software is freely available,
        the Linux world tends to abandon backwards compatibility much more
        quickly than the commercial software world. You want to find a host
        where the major pieces aren't more than a few years old. You don't need
        to be bleeding edge, just avoid the overly conservatives ones.

        2. A lot of cheap hosting providers keep their prices down by putting
        some pretty severe restrictions on the amount of RAM given to each
        customer. 64 MB is just not enough. Even if you strip down MySQL and
        Apache to turn off all the space-for-time tradeoffs they have -- child
        prespawning in Apache, big caches in MySQL, etc. -- you'll still be
        running up against memory limits. You might actually get it working,
        but you won't be able to run things like system updates while the web
        and database servers are up. Start a second Perl interpreter instance,
        or a C++ compiler, or a tool like yum, and you're running the system out
        of memory again. Apache::ASP does Bad Things (TM) when it runs out of
        RAM. I'd say 96-128 MB is the smallest reasonable amount. 256 MB is
        plenty, ignoring application-specific overhead.

        3. As for how to find such hosts, a Google search for "Linux VPS" will
        turn up dozens. There are a few companies using OSes other than Linux,
        and some don't call it a VPS, but you'll get plenty of choices. Just
        some names to demonstrate the variety out there: VPSLink, Linode, Web
        Intellects, and Verio. Between those four, you can probably find a 10:1
        price ratio, a 5:1 base resource ratio, not a single control panel
        that's the same among them, wholly different management models.... Look
        at those four, then look at another dozen before making your decision.
        There's a company out there with exactly the right feature balance for
        you. There's too much competition for two companies to offer exactly
        the same service set. We've got hyper-differentiation going on here.

        > bothered to contact me four or five times with a "We're still working on
        > it!" type message. It took them less seconds to charge my credit card
        > than it has days to get my account setup.

        Naturally. Charging your credit card is a solved technical problem.
        One should not rely on someone else's tech support droids to solve
        technical problems.

        I hereby posit the theory of the 4 Rs of Tech Support: Reboot,
        Reinstall, Replace, or Refuse to Acknowledge. If your problem requires
        another solution, you're better off doing it yourself.

      • D. L. Fox
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2006
          Warren, thanks for the response packed full of info. It makes for a good
          tutorial on how to get started, IMHO.

          > some names to demonstrate the variety out there: VPSLink, Linode, Web
          > Intellects, and Verio.

          Now this is a lesson to me. As many times as I've installed Apache,
          mod_perl, Apache::ASP, etc. on my boxes at home (Windows and Linux), I
          never even thought to go this route. DOH!

          I really like the thought of having that much control over the server.
          Then if it breaks, I can only blame myself (backup, backup, backup).