Error Document

  • John D. Leonard II
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
      All:

      I'm tryin to get the error document facility working for 401 error
      (authorization failure.) My first try was to simply add the following
      code in the Script_OnStart

      sub Script_OnStart{
      $Response->ErrorDocument('401',<<EOF);
      <h1>Nee-ner nee-ner nee-ner</h1>
      You can't get me!
      EOF
      }

      However, when I hit a protected page and fail out, the standard message
      is shown.

      Am I missing some configuration setting somewhere (perhaps in the
      httpd.conf?)

      Thanks,

      JL

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
        "John D. Leonard II" wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > I'm tryin to get the error document facility working for 401 error
        > (authorization failure.) My first try was to simply add the following
        > code in the Script_OnStart
        >
        > sub Script_OnStart{
        > $Response->ErrorDocument('401',<<EOF);
        > <h1>Nee-ner nee-ner nee-ner</h1>
        > You can't get me!
        > EOF
        > }
        >
        > However, when I hit a protected page and fail out, the standard message
        > is shown.

        I am not sure that this will work because the 401 auth layer will
        be executed prior to Script_OnStart, or the Apache::ASP handler even,
        so your code never gets a chance to run.

        For your purposes, you might do what you want better by using
        Apache->custom_response API directly in a early mod_perl request
        stage, or the Apache ErrorDocument config.

      • John D. Leonard II
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
          Josh:

          > For your purposes, you might do what you want better by using
          > Apache->custom_response API directly in a early mod_perl request
          > stage, or the Apache ErrorDocument config.

          Do you know if the Apache ErrorDocument code will process an ApacheASP
          document? I'd like to use my existing ASP application to present the
          error messages.

          JL

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
            "John D. Leonard II" wrote:

            > Josh:
            >
            > > For your purposes, you might do what you want better by using
            > > Apache->custom_response API directly in a early mod_perl request
            > > stage, or the Apache ErrorDocument config.
            >
            > Do you know if the Apache ErrorDocument code will process an ApacheASP
            > document? I'd like to use my existing ASP application to present the
            > error messages.

            If ErrorDocument specifies a file name that would normally be
            executed as an ASP script, then yes, your script will work for it
            just fine.

          • Ellers
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2002
              At 12:45 PM -0800 8/3/02, Joshua Chamas wrote:
              >"John D. Leonard II" wrote:
              >>
              > > I'm tryin to get the error document facility working for 401 error
              > > (authorization failure.)
              > > However, when I hit a protected page and fail out, the standard message
              >> is shown.

              >For your purposes, you might do what you want better by using
              >Apache->custom_response API directly in a early mod_perl request
              >stage, or the Apache ErrorDocument config.

              In my work I used the following in the httpd.conf to handle missing
              document (404) requests. Presumable 401 would work identically?

              ErrorDocument 404 /404.asp

              Then in 404.asp you can put whatever you want.

              HTH
              Ellers