Re: apache server startup problem with Apache::ASP

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
      James I Hightower wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I have been developing a web application with apache, mod_perl and Apache::ASP
      > on a Linux box for some time now and have experienced no problems until today.
      > Today I was unable to bounce apache server. I had just copied a newly-developed
      > .asp module to the Apache::ASP Global directory so I figured that was the
      > culprit. However, after some experimentation I realized the new module wasn't
      > the problem since I was able to get the apache server to startup by removing
      > any one module from the Global directory (while leaving the new module).
      >
      > The PC I am using has 128K of memory. I'm guessing I am running out of memory
      > during apache server startup since I can achieve server startup by removing any
      > one module. The application works fine after server startup as long as I avoid
      > invoking any module I omitted. The apache error_log shows no errors.

      I have never heard of this before, so what follows is more general
      troubleshooting techniques...

      Check out what happens to your system under top when it hangs. How much
      free RAM do you have, does your machine start to swap ? If you run
      the raw httpd command from the init.d httpd/apache script with a -X
      modifier from the command line, this can help debug things, just
      do something like this:

      bash> strace httpd -X

      you can hit the web server as normal, but it is in single process
      mode, and you might be able to see better on which system call
      it hangs. If you keep top running in a separate window while you
      do this, you could glean some information pointing at the real
      problem, whatever it may be.

      > PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
      > PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
      > PerlSetVar StateCache 1
      > PerlSetVar Debug 2
      > PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 1440
      > PerlSetVar StateManager 4
      > PerlSetVar StatScripts 0

      There is a lot of redundant information in your conf file. I think
      you will find that you can move PerlSetVar configs out of
      <Files> blocks to one level higher to cover all of the Files
      blocks if they share common settings.

      > use Apache::ASP;
      >
      > Apache::ASP->Loader( '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
      > "(asp|html|pm)\$",
      > 'Global' => '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
      > 'Debug' => 2,
      > );
      >
      > use lib "/usr/local/ADDRKEEP/perl";

      I would put the "use lib" line before the Apache::ASP->Loader() line,
      but it probably really doens't matter since the use should get
      executed first anyway. But the reality is the ASP application that you
      are precompiling probably depends on modules in ADDRKEEP being
      available.

      Let us know what you figure out, bizarre problem really.

      -- Josh