apache server startup problem with Apache::ASP

  • James I Hightower
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
      All,

      I have been developing a web application with apache, mod_perl and Apache::ASP
      on a Linux box for some time now and have experienced no problems until today.
      Today I was unable to bounce apache server. I had just copied a newly-developed
      .asp module to the Apache::ASP Global directory so I figured that was the
      culprit. However, after some experimentation I realized the new module wasn't
      the problem since I was able to get the apache server to startup by removing
      any one module from the Global directory (while leaving the new module).

      The PC I am using has 128K of memory. I'm guessing I am running out of memory
      during apache server startup since I can achieve server startup by removing any
      one module. The application works fine after server startup as long as I avoid
      invoking any module I omitted. The apache error_log shows no errors.

      Are there any other reasons this may happen outside of lack of memory? Are
      there some apache, mod_perl, or Apache::ASP configuration settings that could be
      related to this problem? At this point my entire application consists of 30
      scripts/modules.

      I figure I'll have to break down and get a new development PC since my current
      machine has no more memory capacity.

      Below are my relevant apache htppd.conf entries:

      <Files ~ (ADK.+\.asp)>

      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP

      PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
      PerlSetVar Global /usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp
      # PerlSetVar GlobalPackage main
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/ADDRKEEP
      PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
      PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
      PerlSetVar StateCache 1
      PerlSetVar Debug 2
      PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 1440
      PerlSetVar StateManager 4
      PerlSetVar StatScripts 0

      </Files>

      <Files ~ (ADK.+\.pm)>

      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP

      PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
      # PerlSetVar Global /usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp
      PerlSetVar GlobalPackage main
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/ADDRKEEP
      PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
      PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
      PerlSetVar StateCache 1
      PerlSetVar Debug 2
      PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 1440
      PerlSetVar StateManager 4
      PerlSetVar StatScripts 0

      </Files>

      <Files ~ (ADK.+\.html)>

      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::ASP

      PerlSetVar UseStrict 1
      PerlSetVar Global /usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp
      # PerlSetVar GlobalPackage main
      PerlSetVar StateDir /tmp/ADDRKEEP
      PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
      PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
      PerlSetVar StateCache 1
      PerlSetVar Debug 2
      PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 1440
      PerlSetVar StateManager 4
      PerlSetVar StatScripts 0
      PerlSetVar RegisterIncludes 1

      </Files>

      <Perl>

      use Apache::ASP;

      Apache::ASP->Loader( '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
      "(asp|html|pm)\$",
      'Global' => '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
      'Debug' => 2,
      );

      use lib "/usr/local/ADDRKEEP/perl";

      </Perl>

      PerlModule JIHbuildPageCode

      Thanks,

      Jim

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
        James I Hightower wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > I have been developing a web application with apache, mod_perl and Apache::ASP
        > on a Linux box for some time now and have experienced no problems until today.
        > Today I was unable to bounce apache server. I had just copied a newly-developed
        > .asp module to the Apache::ASP Global directory so I figured that was the
        > culprit. However, after some experimentation I realized the new module wasn't
        > the problem since I was able to get the apache server to startup by removing
        > any one module from the Global directory (while leaving the new module).
        >
        > The PC I am using has 128K of memory. I'm guessing I am running out of memory
        > during apache server startup since I can achieve server startup by removing any
        > one module. The application works fine after server startup as long as I avoid
        > invoking any module I omitted. The apache error_log shows no errors.

        I have never heard of this before, so what follows is more general
        troubleshooting techniques...

        Check out what happens to your system under top when it hangs. How much
        free RAM do you have, does your machine start to swap ? If you run
        the raw httpd command from the init.d httpd/apache script with a -X
        modifier from the command line, this can help debug things, just
        do something like this:

        bash> strace httpd -X

        you can hit the web server as normal, but it is in single process
        mode, and you might be able to see better on which system call
        it hangs. If you keep top running in a separate window while you
        do this, you could glean some information pointing at the real
        problem, whatever it may be.

        > PerlSetVar StateDB MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File
        > PerlSetVar StateSerializer Storable
        > PerlSetVar StateCache 1
        > PerlSetVar Debug 2
        > PerlSetVar SessionTimeout 1440
        > PerlSetVar StateManager 4
        > PerlSetVar StatScripts 0

        There is a lot of redundant information in your conf file. I think
        you will find that you can move PerlSetVar configs out of
        <Files> blocks to one level higher to cover all of the Files
        blocks if they share common settings.

        > use Apache::ASP;
        >
        > Apache::ASP->Loader( '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
        > "(asp|html|pm)\$",
        > 'Global' => '/usr/local/apache/ADDRKEEP/asp',
        > 'Debug' => 2,
        > );
        >
        > use lib "/usr/local/ADDRKEEP/perl";

        I would put the "use lib" line before the Apache::ASP->Loader() line,
        but it probably really doens't matter since the use should get
        executed first anyway. But the reality is the ASP application that you
        are precompiling probably depends on modules in ADDRKEEP being
        available.

        Let us know what you figure out, bizarre problem really.

        -- Josh