Re: might be Off Topic...

  • Helmut Zeilinger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
      Hi D.L.,

      just an idea - try to add a "name" attribute to the
      "input" elements instaed of / in addition to the
      "id" attributes.

      Helmut

      D. L. Fox schrieb:

      > Joshua Chamas wrote:
      >
      >> The problem seems to be what the browser is sending, since on the
      >> server side its not seeing any content uploaded from the form:
      >

      > I thought it might be something with Firefox so I tried it with IE,
      > Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera all with the same results.
      >
      >> So maybe the HTML itself is not correct, but honestly it looked
      >> fine to me.
      >

      > I wondered if the HTML might have something to do with it but it
      > validates as strict per the W3C, so I'm not sure what to think.
      >
      >> Maybe also a chance that the apache server + mod_perl is too old
      >> and you should upgrade. The mod_perl version is pretty old
      >> at this point.
      >

      > I wish I had that option. This is a hosted site, unlike before when I
      > normally ran things on my own stuff. I have been searching for another
      > host provider anyway. I am no longer satisfied with my current one.
      > They don't seem to stay up-to-date with their software, and they
      > change things which will break your site without telling you.
      >
      > The main reason I chose this provider was because they had
      > Apache::ASP. Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP.
      > Is there a list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?
      >
      > I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
      > it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
      > MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
      > use Apache::ASP and Perl.

    • D. L. Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
        Bingo...we have a winner! That seems to have fixed the problem. Many
        thanks.

        Interestingly enough, when I switched to using a Select statement with
        options, as opposed to using checkboxes, I also had to name the select
        object. Just naming the options wasn't enough. Interesting.

        Thanks to all who took the time to look this one over. It really had me
        confused.

        Helmut Zeilinger wrote:
        > Hi D.L.,
        >
        > just an idea - try to add a "name" attribute to the
        > "input" elements instaed of / in addition to the
        > "id" attributes.
        >

        > Helmut

      • D. L. Fox
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
          Correction. The select element is all that needed the "name" attribute.
          The "name" attribute is not allowed for an option element (or form
          element) in XHTML strict. However, giving the select element a "name"
          attribute is acceptable, and was sufficient to fix the problem.

          I think I might use this as an experiment for other form elements as
          well, to see what other little quirks there may be in using forms while
          maintaining the XHTML strict standard.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
            D. L. Fox wrote:

            > The main reason I chose this provider was because they had Apache::ASP.
            > Now I need to find another host account with Apache::ASP. Is there a
            > list of providers using Apache::ASP somewhere?

            You can check out:
            http://www.apache-asp.org/support.html#COMMERCIAL

            > I've been looking through the many lists of providers on the 'Net but
            > it's difficult to search on Apache::ASP because it always turns up
            > MS-ASP or Chili. I can program in VB just fine but would *much* rather
            > use Apache::ASP and Perl.

            yep, you might also try searches on "mod_perl apache asp hosting"

            And lastly you could try running in standalone CGI mode with full
            mod_perl support, but could be tricky to set up in a home directory,
            but I think possible.